Sign in to follow this  

Honda 400ex Head Scratchers

Two things regarding my 2000 400ex.

1. Started ran great. Washed it (pressure washer) still ran great. Changed oil, cleaned and replaced air filter, won't even turn over. Starter relay clicks, but nothing else. Checked fuses, wiring etc. Scratching my head. Probably missed a loose wire someplace that got bumped during the oil/air filter change?

2. Replaced the clutch cable last week. It was dragging, neutral was hard to find and seemed not to be completely disengaging when the lever was pulled all the way in. (Out of adjustment) New cable fixed it all, I thought. During the oil change ceremony I had it up on a stand and started it (before it would no longer run) and put it in gear to oil the chain. I noticed that the wheels kept turning even with the clutch lever all the way in. Fiddled with the adjustment but couldn't get it stop the bad behavior. Thoughts?

1) Just a weak battery?

2) It is pretty common for a clutch to drag a little. You will see it up on a stand, but should never notice it on the ground.

Could be a weak battery, but it was brand new earlier this year. Of course it could also have alternator problems, causing a weak battery...

New info. Jumped it from my truck. Took right off. Did notice that the neutral light was flickering, but when I gave it some throttle the neutral light went out all together. When we took the jumpers off it continued to run, but when we shut it down and tried a re-start not even the starter relay would click.

Found it! The lug that goes to the positive post on the batter was arcing (just barely) where the wire goes into it. I threw some solder in the connection and presto.