Sign in to follow this  

Adding light kit to XC. Wiring problems. Please help!

Bike: 2006 KTM 250 XC

A few weeks ago I purchased this bike used and now I'm having some wiring problems while installing a lighting kit (both a headlight and taillight). I was hoping it was going to be a plug and play application, but that is not the case. There is a female spade connector coming from the stator that I thought was the connector, but is not. The wiring loom may have been modified by the previous owner. Please note that I'm not trying to make this bike street legal. It is only for safety and in case I don't make it home before dark.

Here is what it looks like under the tank:

2011-10-03_19-21-29_88.jpg

EDIT:

So it looks like I might need the wiring harness and voltage regulator from an XCW model.

06xcwharness.jpg

Is #12 a switch for the headlight that plugs into the XCW harness?

The microfiche says an 06 XC comes with a voltage regulator. Where is it?

Do I just need #1 and #9? Is there anything else I'll need?

Thanks so much for any and all replies. :smashpc:

Edited by O40ozConstable

Is that yellow the only lead? If so it looks like you have a 2k2 stator. That yellow has AC power on it when the engine is running. You can put a volt meter on it to verify it is good.

You do need a regulator. http://trailtech.net/regulator.html

If you do not regulate the AC you will blow bulbs at higher RPMs.

Joe........

Is that yellow the only lead? If so it looks like you have a 2k2 stator. That yellow has AC power on it when the engine is running. You can put a volt meter on it to verify it is good.

You do need a regulator. http://trailtech.net/regulator.html

If you do not regulate the AC you will blow bulbs at higher RPMs.

Joe........

Thanks for the response! :smashpc:

I see that I do need a regulator. But the 06 XC microfiche says the bike comes with one. Is that not the case? If so, where is the regulator located? (I'm not at home, so I cant check till tonight)

In your photo the regulator mounts in that triangular space on the empty hole in the frame. You don't have one. The AC regulator Joe sent you the link to is a good one. That regulator needs to be mounted to the frame (remove paint at connection) and the yellow wire from your bike connects to it. The left over wire from the regulator runs through a headlight switch to your headlight or straight to your headlight if you don't want a switch. The other wire from your headlight is grounded to the frame. Very simple.

In your photo the regulator mounts in that triangular space on the empty hole in the frame. You don't have one. The AC regulator Joe sent you the link to is a good one. That regulator needs to be mounted to the frame (remove paint at connection) and the yellow wire from your bike connects to it. The left over wire from the regulator runs through a headlight switch to your headlight or straight to your headlight if you don't want a switch. The other wire from your headlight is grounded to the frame. Very simple.

Thanks!! :smashpc:

That answers a lot of my questions.

I'm going to order the stock KTM regulator and the XCW wiring harness. Hopefully this will make it easier to get both the headlight and taillight mounted properly while using the factory connectors.

You do understand the OEM regulator is 70 bucks retail right? If you are hell bent on OEM I can take a look in my garage,, I bet I have a few of those OEM regs laying around you can have.

Joe...

FWIW I have a new 06 reg and wire harness.. PM me an addy if ya want it..