Pro Taper Evo Bar bend recommendations please!

I recently switched from stock Renthal 7/8 handle bar (RC bend) on my CFR250R to Pro Taper 1 1/8 EVO bar, hoping to get less vibration and of course better durability. Called Pro Taper and their technician recommended YZ-high to me. I rode few hours last weekend and had a hard time getting used on the new bend. I think the bar might be too low for me. I am 5'7" and I also run Pro Taper rubber cone clap with 5mm offset towards back. I have rotated the bar mount to forward potion and lower footpegs by 10mm from stock position. Will find out how these new setting work for me in this coming weekend.

The question is, is the YZ-high a good bend for my size (5'7") and I just need to spend more time to get used to it, or I need to choose another bend instead? I do not have much time testing and picking up my favorite so please recommend the best bend for my height, thanks a lot!

:smashpc:

• Like 1

i run the carmichael bend on my contours for my 125, its perfect for me and im about your size.

The RC bend is 7mm lower than YZ-high. phrolic42o can you touch the grip with your fingers when you stand right above your footpegs? My understanding is for the right bar height, you should be able to reach the grips with middle of your fingers when you stand upright on footpegs. My finger tips barely touch handle bar as I stand up right so I guess the height is a bit low for me.

The RC bend is 7mm lower than YZ-high. phrolic42o can you touch the grip with your fingers when you stand right above your footpegs? My understanding is for the right bar height, you should be able to reach the grips with middle of your fingers when you stand upright on footpegs. My finger tips barely touch handle bar as I stand up right so I guess the height is a bit low for me.

i can touch, but ive got some lanky arms :smashpc: truthfully, dont worry too much about what other people tell you. in the end its all about what feels natural to you. you could have 3 people the same size running 3 different set ups and not one would complain. just try a few bends and go with whichever is the most comfortable ?

i can touch, but ive got some lanky arms :smashpc: truthfully, dont worry too much about what other people tell you. in the end its all about what feels natural to you. you could have 3 people the same size running 3 different set ups and not one would complain. just try a few bends and go with whichever is the most comfortable ?

I guess i might have extremely short arms. I can barely touch the grips when standing up right. I rode the bike with new bars for few hours last weekend and had terrible arm pump. I have lowered the footpegs by 10mm and rotate the bar clamp 5mm forward to give me more height and room. Will find out how they work out this coming weekend.

I run the Henry/Reed EVO bend. I'm 5'11'' and it's comfortable for me, but other people close to 6' probably prefer something taller. It's a little bit taller than your YZ high bend.

I am 5'8 and love my Henry/ Reed bend bars too. I have tried just about every bar out there except the Windham bend. Personally I hate the YZ bend.

I have heard lots of good things about windham bend. I am concerned it might be too high for me. Henry/Reed provides a bit more height than Yz-hight but seems too much pull back. If i can buy only one of them, which one should I choose??

I have Windham bend ProTapers. They are high but not excessive if you are tall. What I don't like about them is they have too much sweep. I like a straighter bar.

Do you think Windham bend is too high for me? I am 5'7" with normal arm length. I know somebody around my size runs this bend and like it.

It comes down to personal preference and what makes you feel comfortable. I have been running the Henry/Reed bend for a very long time, they felt perfect on my YZ250F's but seem a little bit high on the KX450F. At 5' 11" with a lanky build I normally like a bit more rise but mounted to the KX they do not seem to offer the leverage I like. Problem with bars is you need to ride with them for a bit and make adjustments before deciding whether or not you like them, can get expensive trying different bends.

Do you think Windham bend is too high for me? I am 5'7" with normal arm length. I know somebody around my size runs this bend and like it.

I don't think so. Im 6'2" and using these bars with 1" risers for a damper submount. If you're looking for a taller bar than the Windhams are the one. I believe they're one of the highest available. How do you feel while standing? If you feel too hunched over than I would say go with the higher bend. Personally I hate the YZ bend. Something just not right about them.

It comes down to personal preference and what makes you feel comfortable. I have been running the Henry/Reed bend for a very long time, they felt perfect on my YZ250F's but seem a little bit high on the KX450F. At 5' 11" with a lanky build I normally like a bit more rise but mounted to the KX they do not seem to offer the leverage I like. Problem with bars is you need to ride with them for a bit and make adjustments before deciding whether or not you like them, can get expensive trying different bends.

Good point! Will ride more with this bar but had a horrible arm pump last time so need to adjust my style to suite it. And bar IS expensive!

I don't think so. Im 6'2" and using these bars with 1" risers for a damper submount. If you're looking for a taller bar than the Windhams are the one. I believe they're one of the highest available. How do you feel while standing? If you feel too hunched over than I would say go with the higher bend. Personally I hate the YZ bend. Something just not right about them.

My problem with Yz-high is when I in the air, I have to crouch to hold the bar well. Just not as comfortable as stock. But being comfortable does not necessarily mean it is right. So it will be wise to get different opinions before moving on another bar.

The stock CRF Renthal 971's are excellent. They actually dampen vibration better than any oversize bar. The 971's are also the perfect size and sweep for the average height rider.

If the 971's aren't bent, I would put them back on and sell the Protapers.