Sign in to follow this  

Advice on cylinder repair (CARNAGE INSIDE)

Needing some advice guys. At first I thought the cylinder was junk but after talking to a couple of places it sounds like it won't be too hard to repair. Has anyone had any experience with repairing a chrome lined cylinder? Had a ring come apart, piston break and get into the power valves and cylinder wall above exhaust port. Also had a bridge crack.

IMAG0535.jpg

IMAG0534.jpg

IMAG0539.jpg

IMAG0538.jpg

ive seen worse, US CHROME will take good care of you. of all of the 3 big replating companies ive used(millennium, powerseal and usnicom) usnicom or US CHROME has given me the best customer service, best price and the best product. they do a great job of repairing cylinders.

ive seen worse, US CHROME will take good care of you. of all of the 3 big replating companies ive used(millennium, powerseal and usnicom) usnicom or US CHROME has given me the best customer service, best price and the best product. they do a great job of repairing cylinders.

I spoke with Millenium,. US, and another that I can't remember (private one man shop). I liked what I saw on USnicom's website. Thanks for the advice. How bad does it look to YOU? 3/10?

yeah id say if ten was worst, thats like a 3 or 3.5, the thing usnicom does best is making sure the bore is perfectly round, ive never found a low or high spot in one of their bores.

yeah id say if ten was worst, thats like a 3 or 3.5, the thing usnicom does best is making sure the bore is perfectly round, ive never found a low or high spot in one of their bores.

Well that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks again for the input. I'm goin by the local shop here in KC to show one of the techs in there and see what he thinks.

You don't think there's any way anything could have gotten down in the lower end do ya? :smashpc:

And one more thing. The lower power valve looks pretty chipped up. Repair? Replace? I haven't taken it apart yet to see total damage but when something like this happens does it usually destroy the power valve assembly or what?

if the powervalve is chipped up pretty good, just replace it. and anytime the nikasil is compromised, its time to split the cases. do it right, do it once.

if the powervalve is chipped up pretty good, just replace it. and anytime the nikasil is compromised, its time to split the cases. do it right, do it once.

Talked to Larry after work yesterday and we agreed we were gonna split the cases. Realistically the top end is sealed off but I found a VERY small amount of oil when I pulled my flywheel cover off. I'm sure it's time for crank bearings/seals. Looks like I'm gonna be into THIS one for over a grand. Ouch.