Sign in to follow this  

Ryan Dungey - KTM - No Neck Brace

Saw yesterday that there are some pics (on racerX) of Dungey testing his new KTM.

16265_rd9.jpg

Not sure why but he is not wearing his neck brace.

Anybody got some info on this one!

i got a idea, leatt stopped paying him

leatt doesnt pay athletes to wear their braces, they choose to wear them because of safety reasons. they dont get paid.

leatt pays all of its top guys a pretty penny to wear the brace. same as a-stars or omega or evs. i know a couple of guys getting a little kickback to wear the brace. even though they find it uncomfortable.

Probably didn't have one with him that didn't have Suzuki/Rockstar logos all over it.

I spoke with David Vuillemin in '09 and he told me nobody was getting paid to wear the Leatt at that time.

Probably didn't have one with him that didn't have Suzuki/Rockstar logos all over it.

That would be my guess too.

OMG no neck brace, what will he do without the miraculous shield of invincibility???

:smashpc:

Or he has been reading thumpertalk and has become a skeptic too.

:busted: "maybe 'Dezart Cycho' is right, maybe im making a mistake"

👍:smashpc:

Couple of reasons why that would not make sense. If he only had his Suzuki/Rockstar helmet with him would he have left that off to ride? It looks like his other riding gear has decals covering other graphics, so they should have had some left over to cover his Suzuki/Rockstar Brace? He is the top rider and should have a whole bag full of braces that are brand new unless he gets them supplied pre-graphic-ed of course. Graphics do peal off quite easily to so if it was a priority they would have done so.

These are reasons when i first saw that pics that came to mind. He has lost confidence from the brace unclipping, this is a long shot though. He has a new sponsor that is going to provide him with a new solution to a neck brace. He only wears the brace for racing and not practice or testing, but this does not make complete sense either.

What will be the telling factor is the next set of photos that come out of KTM.

I spoke with David Vuillemin in '09 and he told me nobody was getting paid to wear the Leatt at that time.

pretty sure i heard emig say something about it too this year.

when did he?

Dont remember JS7 with a brace in a race but vaguely remember him with one at some stage.

Found this in a search though so it appears he did (from April 2010):

James Stewart on Neck Braces:

MXNEWSFEED: Everywhere you look riders are wearing neck braces such as the Leatt Brace, Alpinestars BNS, EVS. Have you ever worn one and what are your thoughts on neck braces in general, I don't think we've seen you wearing one?

JAMES STEWART: I've tried them on and I've been trying to wear the Alpinestars one…you know I wore the Leatt back in the day but I don't know, I just, there are studies that say it helps, but then there is nothing that it proves that it's better for you to wear one or not, so I just think it's kind of like people who want to wear chest protectors. If you want to wear it then wear it, if not then don't. You know I really don't have an opinion about it. I think it's one of those subjects that are very touchy. I just choose not to wear one.

pretty sure i heard emig say something about it too this year.

i think they get stock in the company. which turns out that, no they dont get paid. :smashpc:

OMG no neck brace, what will he do without the miraculous shield of invincibility???

:smashpc:

Exactly what I was thinking, calm down everyone, it's just a piece of gear that may be good to have, but isn't mandatory.