Sign in to follow this  

Rear Brake in the Corners?

I just recently got into dirtbikes and have a crf450r. At my local track I've noticed if I hit the rear brake in the corners it kind of shoots me around the turn. Is this a proper technique? I am holding the rear brake at the begining of a tight turn and gassing out of it.

That is called a 'brake slide". It gets the back wheel around so the front is pointing in the direction you want to go. It is a good technique, so use it if it works for you.

What about right handers?

After braking you can put your leg forward as needed. You should rarely put your foot on the ground. It you put your foot on ground out of habit, you are asking for a broken foot, ankle or twisted knee.

At the very least... a beautifully bruised ankle as I learned in a race a few weeks ago having to daub in a technical section. Foot touched ground, ground grabbed foot, foot flew at swing arm... pretty purple foot.

I think that's what happened... not 100% sure. Foot was just mashed at the end of the race and this is my best guess hehe.

Didn't someone once say that the rear brake was for turning and the front for stopping? Who was that?

LOL I think it was Dwight.

I have been riding since the 60's and still dont use the front brakes , which is weird because i used to road race and 90% of my braking was front brake but for some reason on a MX track i just hit the rear brake coming into a corner , and drag it a little going thru the corner while accelerating , it works for me , though i doubt its the fastest way around the track , i am slowly trying to use my front brake , but find it unnecessary sometimes and just use the rear 99% of the time !

Hard to break old habits

I use the rear brake for tight corners and that's about it to get the rear of the bike square off a sharp corner and get the bike pointed in the right direction. I use my front brake more than anything and usually use it at the entrance of the turn. 1. you get much more stopping power out of the front brake. 2. when you hit front brake coming into a turn it will put a load on your forks which in turn puts more traction on your front tire. 3. you have much more control and 4. you can stay on the gas the entire time if need be and can accelerate out of corner quicker because your rear wheel will be maintianing traction and not trying to find grip after being locked up by the back brake.👍

I do a lot of 'rear wheel steering' on flat turns. Come in hot, lock up the rear brake just as I start to turn the bars (clutch in) after back end is around and front wheel is pointing right direction get on the gas.... on a nice bermed turns I'm more with the front brake to slow down some into turn and get in position and then gas through it. I dont see many nice bermed turns though since I'm pretty much off road and not track!

:busted:

After braking you can put your leg forward as needed. You should rarely put your foot on the ground. It you put your foot on ground out of habit, you are asking for a broken foot, ankle or twisted knee.

I worked on keeping my feet up as much as possible. I only drop a foot when needed.

I like to come in on both brakes until the turn in starts or further depending on the turn. I get off the front brake as I slide the back around to the desired exit angle. I like to power out hard if possilble and finish the slide under power with the front end just skimming the ground or in a slight wheelie. I like to hover over the seat just lightly touching it as I weight the outside peg.

I found that hovering or standing while weighting the pegs properly instead of using my feet as outriggers has makes me faster and the ride more aggressively with less injurys. I've been working on adding trials type riding and technics which has helped noticeably. My rough hill climbs skills are much better now also.

What about right handers?

See above...

Keep your feet up. This is what I found that helped my speed in right hand corners the most. I will sometimes brake slighty earlier and get on the power sooner so my foot is available if needed.

I'm not an expert by any means but this works well for me.

Dragging the rear in corners is a common technique. Steve Hatch claims he would change rear pads a the gas stop in enduros.