Sign in to follow this  

So I am thinking of getting a CR500

Well, currently I have a 2001 CR250R and it is great other than the fact the bike feels physically too small to me, as I am a pretty large guy haha (6'4" and 225)

But recently I have been getting the itching for a 500, Im sure it has happened to all of us but I really cant seem to get this bike off my mind, and what that usually means with me is, Im not going to stop thinking about it until I get one hah. Anyways I wanted to know really HOW different are they as bikes? I know it will be fast but is this something I will regret because it is too much to handle in the woods? How is the suspension on them, I am just trying to get a general idea if getting rid of my 250 for a 500 is a bad idea... How controllable is that bike and exactly what am I getting myself into? :smashpc:

Why not test ride one and find out for yourself? You will get two different opinions on 500's. 1: They are scary monsters that will tear you apart if you blink. 2: As long as you are an experienced rider, they aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.

I had a CR480 when I was in high school and it was awesome. I mostly rode MX and open desert with it. It's almost like riding a 4t with the bottom end chug you can get, but then can still pin you back with the 2t top end. As long as you get the suspension set up for you and your type of riding, it will be decent.

Power-wise, much more bottom end but not as hard to control as some might make you think. There are things you can do to tame them even more than Honda did in their later years. A 39mm PWK and one smaller on the rear sprocket helps a bunch. I've never ran one but alot of folks run flywheel weights as well.

Handling-wise, if you're talking about a steel framed CR500, you'll miss the 250. They're wide and heavy feeling compared to the aluminum framed bikes and they tend to want to stand up in the middle of turns.

A CRF450R based 500AF would be perfect for you. They're roomy and handle much better than the steelie 500.

Best of luck. :smashpc:

The motors are very versatile, can be lugged can be screamed whatever you want you can do with it, if you're prone to whiskey throttle moments then stay away but if you maintain control of your right hand you'll be fine. I had a steelie loved it with the exception of the handleing yes i could ride it just about as fast in the singletrack as my previous bikes but the flickability not being there killed the fun factor. A Service Honda AF would be a bike i'd want to try but they're not in my budget as of yet

cr500a/f all the way, I have a 1990 steelie and it rips, and i mean rips. I am 220lbs and i have the bike setup for a 250lb rider and i love it to death. i was thinking of getting rid of the 500 to get a newer 250 for handelability. after a 2 hour ride my arms and hands are killing me from holding on for dear life.. just be carefull they will buck you off if you dont respect the power.

Stock CR500s are great woods/play bikes. I would bet that there are many more of them being used on trails right now than there are being run on the track.

I have a CR500 that is ported fairly radical, and it has surprised me how similar the power is to my old CR250--same type of power curve, only lots more of it. Even with the porting, I don't think I'd have any problems trail riding my bike. And it would definitely be a blast on a long, straight dirt road.

BTW, my '88 CR500 is at least an inch shorter than my old '97 CR250 was. Keep that in mind if you're primarily looking for a physically bigger (taller) bike.

I love 500's in the woods. If you hold it wide open it will rip your arms off 👍 however the power is very versatile, very usable and very predictable. You will fall in love with the bottom end grunt in the technical sections.

I would find a 93 or newer for the slightly wider spacing in the gearbox and 97-01's supposedly had the best suspension. For the most part they are the same chassis from 91-01. The chassis is a bit dated compared to your 250 and in my case I am quicker on my 02 CR250 in the woods however I tend to have a non stop grin on the 500 :smashpc:

To answer your question: Given your size I do not think you will regret having the 500 in the woods and it won't be "too much" to handle. I'm 160lbs and I never feel like mine is too much--that said it can be if you let it :busted:

Hi, The most noticeable short coming for a 500 in tight tracks is it's tendancy to want to stand up straight into a corner or inability to change direction quickly. Seat time will help this. Other than that you cant really fault the engine they are that good, reliability and more importantly versatility.

well thanks for the reply's, My girlfriend says i'm not allowed to get a 500 and she is not joking around, VERY serious... 👍

like thats not gonna happen! no really though she is just concerned and she is awesome. But i do have to ask, how is the power band on that? is it got a punch or is it nice and powerfull all the way through? The reason I ask is because I heard that the 500 has no power valve? If thats true I would assume that the power is harsh and abrupt at a certain RPM where the power band is... I dont know though, can anyone tell me how it feels compared to my 250? and to be honest I have never even seen a 500 in person :smashpc:

well thanks for the reply's, My girlfriend says i'm not allowed to get a 500 and she is not joking around, VERY serious... 👍

like thats not gonna happen! no really though she is just concerned and she is awesome. But i do have to ask, how is the power band on that? is it got a punch or is it nice and powerfull all the way through? The reason I ask is because I heard that the 500 has no power valve? If thats true I would assume that the power is harsh and abrupt at a certain RPM where the power band is... I dont know though, can anyone tell me how it feels compared to my 250? and to be honest I have never even seen a 500 in person :smashpc:

user:4, read this:

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/feature/opinion-should-i-get-a-smaller-bike-why-500s-are-best-11104.html

i have my 1998 500 setup with a heavy FWW and a gnarly pipe and i can lug it around in tight technical stuff 10X better than my 450. it really excels in really technical hill climbs because it is hard to stall and i can keep it in 2nd gear at about 1/4 throttle and it will just tractor up anything. the power is very controllable on my bike without a really noticeable hit but there is A LOT of it on tap. i have enough power to embarrass most things out at the sand drags except for other 500s. It usually keeps up with the purpose built alcohol burning quads as long as i get a decent start.

i remember riding my friend's 2001 CR500 years ago and it had a monster hit to it. so if you get a 500 i highly recommend a FWW as it will make the bike much more manageable

Your GF is just challenging you to see how much of a man you are............

500's are not boys bikes.

I can pull a wheely just off idle in 4'th gear on mine with MX gearing without yanking on the bars.

Stock motors are pretty ridable, sure they have plenty of punch. You just can't go around riding it like the CR250 unless you are in stellar shape. I will wear out a strong rider quite quickly.

Riding a 500 will make your 250 feel like a toy. Kinda like getting off your 250 and riding a 125. You can go fast on either but the available power really not comparable.

For instance I do my starts in 3'rd gear and leave a trench for at least 30'

Your GF is just challenging you to see how much of a man you are............

500's are not boys bikes.

I can pull a wheely just off idle in 4'th gear on mine with MX gearing without yanking on the bars.

Stock motors are pretty ridable, sure they have plenty of punch. You just can't go around riding it like the CR250 unless you are in stellar shape. I will wear out a strong rider quite quickly.

Riding a 500 will make your 250 feel like a toy. Kinda like getting off your 250 and riding a 125. You can go fast on either but the available power really not comparable.

For instance I do my starts in 3'rd gear and leave a trench for at least 30'

haha, she knows better, when it comes to riding there is no discussion on anything moto, but I have equal respect for other things of hers also :smashpc:

The power on a 125 feels boring to me, not any bottom, with a tight power curve. Thats not what I like, I love that my 250 lugs up hills and when i decide I need some punch I just pop the clutch and twist my wrist and it moves. But imagining the bottom on a 500 seems like tractor style bottom, with plenty of power everywhere else and a rocket ship WOT. that sounds awesome. Im pretty much sold. as soon as i get rid of mine... now who needs to buy a CR250? 👍

one more thing... The book values for the 500 seem to be way off, what should I expect to pay for a, 94 or newer steelie 500? or a 500AF? and what years are the "best"?

Edited by user:4

one more thing... The book values for the 500 seem to be way off, what should I expect to pay for a, 94 or newer steelie 500? or a 500AF? and what years are the "best"?

Who knows?! :smashpc: CR500's are all over the charts around here. Some people think they're worth their weight in gold and on the other hand I've passed up a few 97 and newer 500's for around $1500. AF's are always a lot of money used or new.

I would pay around $2k for a clean mid-late 90's steelie they are just not worth more than that to me 👍

Check this out if you feel like driving http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/2629490283.html

Only it's so nice and limited parts availability that I wouldn't ride it, just keep it for show, unless I had a clone of it. Strong motor in 89', awesome shock, forks would need some professional work if your racing, but woods in box stock form is niceeeeeee. Just a beautiful, beautiful bike, I love finding them in this condition.

Love the, rode it once, scared the hell out of me, never rode again and put it away stories, which seems like the case with this one.

89' was a great year for all Honda motors CR80 through the CR500, just a nasty, nasty different kind of power-band.

Look for a 96 or newer if you are going steel framed. The 96 and up had the good suspension.

With AF's 2000 or newer are all above 99.9% of the riders out there skill level. Takes a very very very good rider to out ride a CR5. I've got close to 10 AF's (most of them are for sale) and a couple steelys. I get quite a kick out of how everybody wants the trickest CR500AF and they are not a good enough rider to use a gen 2 2000 CR500AF even close to what it can do.

Look for a 96 or newer if you are going steel framed. The 96 and up had the good suspension.

With AF's 2000 or newer are all above 99.9% of the riders out there skill level. Takes a very very very good rider to out ride a CR5. I've got close to 10 AF's (most of them are for sale) and a couple steelys. I get quite a kick out of how everybody wants the trickest CR500AF and they are not a good enough rider to use a gen 2 2000 CR500AF even close to what it can do.

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't worry about getting an AF unless I'm racing or at least until I can ride a 500 decent and even know If I'm gonna like it? To be honest, as a rider of my caliber I don't think that I am going to be limited by the suspension on a steel 500 especially If I have it tuned properly. Would you agree with that?

Most riders will never use any bike to its full potential

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't worry about getting an AF unless I'm racing or at least until I can ride a 500 decent and even know If I'm gonna like it? To be honest, as a rider of my caliber I don't think that I am going to be limited by the suspension on a steel 500 especially If I have it tuned properly. Would you agree with that?

The motors are easy to adapt too, depending on where you ride the steelie's may work very well for you, it did not for me i made it work though but the loss of flickability going from a YZ250 smoker to the steelie 500 took alot of the fun factor away from me so i sold the 500 and am back on a 250 smoker. Don't get me wrong i love the 500 motor and would still like a AF but if i have to sacrifice the flickable feeling then i'll sell that off also, i ride nothing but singletrack in MI so being able to toss the/a bike around through the trees is high on my list.

Just my $0.02

OK, here is the part where the steely guys cry, sure an steely is a nice bike if you wanna ride a couch, Given my choice a porsche or a VW, I'd take the 911.

Development on the steel framed bike stopped over 20 years ago. BNG (Bold New Graphics)

IMO an AF will help the rider increase their potential. I'd rather ride a AF CR250 than a steely CR5.

Dont even worry about the power, I'm 6'4" and 215lb and a 500 is as smooth as glass with that much weight on it. Spend your money on suspension and it will be fine.