Which HS or Enduro race to do?

If you were choosing a hair scramble or enduro race to do before year end within 2 or 3 hours of charlotte, which one would you choose? I've only done one race ever and it was the spring HS at Brushy in the 25+ Unlimited class. I really liked that course but dont have anything else to compare it to in a race situation. Thanks,

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i may chime in... i've heard that about the Denver race. what makes it so great? i just started riding dirt this year (at the ripe old age of 42) and haven't gotten out nearly as much as i thought or wanted. so i'm still getting my feet wet and had planned on jumping into the hare scramble ring next year. but with all the talk about Denver...

i have also been thinking about getting into some hare scramble races next year. I have never done one before and I think it would be a blast. Ive noticed the NCHSA and the Mid East Hare Scramble Series. Does anybody prefer one series over the other?

if i may chime in... i've heard that about the Denver race. what makes it so great? i just started riding dirt this year (at the ripe old age of 42) and haven't gotten out nearly as much as i thought or wanted. so i'm still getting my feet wet and had planned on jumping into the hare scramble ring next year. but with all the talk about Denver...
i have also been thinking about getting into some hare scramble races next year. I have never done one before and I think it would be a blast. Ive noticed the NCHSA and the Mid East Hare Scramble Series. Does anybody prefer one series over the other?

Gentlemen...

Both are good HS series...NCHSA does not feature quad races. Mid-east series tends to have more open courses...although they can and do throw in some tighter stuff for the motorcycle races.

Denver is great because of it location, spectator viewing is excellent, the course holds up well to the abuse from hundreds of motorcycles and the goofballs piloting them, and the course itself flows well with a good mix of elevation, tight woods, open speedier areas, and passing opportunities. The "technical" sections are not overly difficult so bottle-neck back ups are reasonably limited.

If you have never raced a Hare Scramble event before, Denver is a good first race to run. Course length is usually about 6.5 miles. You race for slightly less than 90 minutes (you'll want to run the late afternoon race in the Unlimited 25+ class). My very first HS was all about finishing the race and riding the entire time without stopping. After that...well, I got the fever and competition kicked in!:smashpc:?

Thing to do:

HYDRATE! Start drinking lots of fluid on Thursday before the Sunday race.

Start getting in better shape now! If you're not riding you MTB or jogging or, doing something to improve cardio...you'll be surprised how quickly you bonk. Get out on your dirty bike and ride non-stop for 90 minutes...start doing this now if you're not already.

Inspect your ride to be sure grips are tight, bolts are tight, sprockets are in good shape, forks and shock are serviced, steering head bearings are good, wheel bearings are good, consider mounting new tires before race day. IMO...bark busters and a bash plate are mandatory.

Fill the gas tank on your bike...no need to bring extra gas.

Come early to watch other races...especially the noon race where the pros run. You'll learn allot about the race format and you can walk a portion of the course.

Bring food and beverages...eat well about 60 - 90 minutes before you race. Fill your hydration pac about 2/3 full of fluid...no need to carry excess weight.

Be prepared to have a "I-just-railed-your-mom!" grin on your face after you finish your first race. I was so amped after mine...I almost had to go rub one out just to drive home!? OK...well, maybe not that amped...:busted:

Just do it. You'll love it.

-Jay www.yourrace.com/dirtmissle

Edited by Jays07WR450

Jay's giving some good advice. The race is tiring, so having good cardio and endurance is key. I am 44 and I've been back on dirt bikes for almost 3 years after a 25+ year lapse. I ended up getting 4th place in the Brushy race, which I credit to having good endurance due to mountain biking for the past 17 years. By the 3rd lap, a number of racers were hanging out by the side of the trail trying to recover. My last lap was my fastest and I rode the entire race well within my comfort zone of speed and risk taking. Moral to the story......you dont have to be super fast, just be fast enough for a long time. Oh yea, know how to use front brakes. I passed several people because they were blowing through the corners.

this time of year, the weather plays a big role and can impact on which race will be best. Denver can be quite challenging if it is wet.

Also what makes Denver good is that it's not in the mountains, so a mistake taking you off trail will not result in a life threatening experience, though some have been seriously hurt there. I just like the fact that I don't have to worry about falling off the side of a mountain. LOL

Flat Rock is always a good race and one I just might have to make.

ncbiker, give me a shout sometime and let's ride!

If I were to try a race next year would Flat Rock be the best track to start with?

I have always liked it, but it has it's technical aspects. any of the mountain tracks are going to be up and down.

I don't know that there is a "best to start on" track. Many variables play a role such as weather. Ya just got to pick one and jump in! ?

I think I am going to try and hit the rest of them this year.

Jay, you up for it?

ncbiker, this year, there isn't much for enduros. If you like the sand, Sumter will be the first of the year. Brown jug isn't too bad either.

I have always liked it, but it has it's technical aspects. any of the mountain tracks are going to be up and down.

I don't know that there is a "best to start on" track. Many variables play a role such as weather. Ya just got to pick one and jump in! ?

I think I am going to try and hit the rest of them this year.

Jay, you up for it?

ncbiker, this year, there isn't much for enduros. If you like the sand, Sumter will be the first of the year. Brown jug isn't too bad either.

I'm not going to be racing all of them...probably just Denver.

The Sumpter enduro is interesting...sand whoops for sure...however, if it rains that's a good thing! Wet sand is easier than dry sugar sand.

I'll keep my eye on that one.

-Jay

• 2 weeks later...
Gentlemen...

Both are good HS series...NCHSA does not feature quad races. Mid-east series tends to have more open courses...although they can and do throw in some tighter stuff for the motorcycle races.

Denver is great because of it location, spectator viewing is excellent, the course holds up well to the abuse from hundreds of motorcycles and the goofballs piloting them, and the course itself flows well with a good mix of elevation, tight woods, open speedier areas, and passing opportunities. The "technical" sections are not overly difficult so bottle-neck back ups are reasonably limited.

If you have never raced a Hare Scramble event before, Denver is a good first race to run. Course length is usually about 6.5 miles. You race for slightly less than 90 minutes (you'll want to run the late afternoon race in the Unlimited 25+ class). My very first HS was all about finishing the race and riding the entire time without stopping. After that...well, I got the fever and competition kicked in!?:worthy:

Thing to do:

HYDRATE! Start drinking lots of fluid on Thursday before the Sunday race.

Start getting in better shape now! If you're not riding you MTB or jogging or, doing something to improve cardio...you'll be surprised how quickly you bonk. Get out on your dirty bike and ride non-stop for 90 minutes...start doing this now if you're not already.

Inspect your ride to be sure grips are tight, bolts are tight, sprockets are in good shape, forks and shock are serviced, steering head bearings are good, wheel bearings are good, consider mounting new tires before race day. IMO...bark busters and a bash plate are mandatory.

Fill the gas tank on your bike...no need to bring extra gas.

Come early to watch other races...especially the noon race where the pros run. You'll learn allot about the race format and you can walk a portion of the course.

Bring food and beverages...eat well about 60 - 90 minutes before you race. Fill your hydration pac about 2/3 full of fluid...no need to carry excess weight.

Be prepared to have a "I-just-railed-your-mom!" grin on your face after you finish your first race. I was so amped after mine...I almost had to go rub one out just to drive home!:ride: OK...well, maybe not that amped...:worthy:

Just do it. You'll love it.

-Jay www.yourrace.com/dirtmissle

Jay - can you give me some basic details about the race itself? I am interested in first-timers, classes, competition level, logistics, etc.

My son and I ride Brushy and HMT a few times a year and ride local MX tracks whenever we can on weekends. He does an occasional SX race at NCMP and is a decent C rider. Myself - I'm one of those 40+ C-D-E... guys who try desperately to keep up with his son. (not so much anymore)

We have never done or seen a HS, but I think we're both ready to try.

Thanks in advance, any further information would be much appreciated.

Another newbie question to anyone who may know. What is the advantage of running in the unlimited 25+ class for a first timer as opposed to running your age C class? In my case it would be 35+ C. Is the unlimited a more casual class? To me "unlimited" sounds more balls out but like I said I'm new to this.

35 C normally is more casual than the unlimited/open classes. the faster/younger guys run the open classes. i race my age which is Vet C. I may move to the open C class just so i can be the first off the line.

you may also consider the sportsman class if you have one available.

in our series sportsman are the last line to start so no pressure from lines behind you. no series points or trophies either.

For NCHSA, you have to be a member to race a C class, same for AA, A, and B classes. Pro, unlimited and sportsman don't require the membership fee.

The afternoon unlimited classes will have all levels of riders, from first timers to pro/AA riders who have already raced and want to race again. The sportsman class will include all levels of riders too. I think most first time racers opt for the afternoon unlimited class, mostly to save a little dough and to get the feel for racing non-stop for 1.5 hours instead of 2. While the fastest racers are in the noon race, there are plenty of fast B and C racers in the afternoon race.

What class your son can race depends on his age and his bike. That info is available here - NCHSA Classes

The upcoming Flat Rock race is on the same ridgeline as Brushy, so lots of elevation change. It's a pretty rough track as well. Generally speaking, the Denver track is easier but usually includes a section of really tight trails.

For NCHSA, you have to be a member to race a C class, same for AA, A, and B classes. Pro, unlimited and sportsman don't require the membership fee.

The afternoon unlimited classes will have all levels of riders, from first timers to pro/AA riders who have already raced and want to race again. The sportsman class will include all levels of riders too. I think most first time racers opt for the afternoon unlimited class, mostly to save a little dough and to get the feel for racing non-stop for 1.5 hours instead of 2. While the fastest racers are in the noon race, there are plenty of fast B and C racers in the afternoon race.

What class your son can race depends on his age and his bike. That info is available here - NCHSA Classes

The upcoming Flat Rock race is on the same ridgeline as Brushy, so lots of elevation change. It's a pretty rough track as well. Generally speaking, the Denver track is easier but usually includes a section of really tight trails.

+1 What samft said.?

Running Unlimited does not require you to pay for a membership in the NCHSA. There is also no AMA membership requirement. Just show up, pay your $7 per person to park and $36 per racer to race. That's it.

Show up around 10:30AM to 11AM. You'll get decent parking and have plenty of time to watch the noon race when the Pro, AA, and A classes run for 2 hours. There is a Sportsman class in the noon race...but like samft said, it's 2 hours which is wwwaaayyyyy long for a 1st-timer HS race. Stick with the afternoon race.

The season is almost over...Denver is the last race of the season...so if you decide to get memberships so you can run a class, make sure they are giving you a membership for the next season. Also...and this is a minor thing but, some folks get their knickers knotted over new guys jumping into the class at the end of the season when championships are being contended. Those few points count and new racers in the class can mess things up sometimes. So...again...Unlimited is where you want to be.

The most important thing to remember about any of these races is this...HAVE FUN! You're NOT competing for a national title and local harescramble racing is NOT a blood sport...even though some knuckle heads will tell you it is.:ride::worthy: "If'n yer not first...yer last!" Thank you Ricky Bobby!:worthy: Most of the guys racing the NCHSA series are there to have fun and enjoy the opportunity to compete with like-minded individuals of similar age and ability. I really enjoyed my full season of competition in the NCHSA for that very reason.

+1 What samft said.?

Running Unlimited does not require you to pay for a membership in the NCHSA. There is also no AMA membership requirement. Just show up, pay your $7 per person to park and $36 per racer to race. That's it.

Show up around 10:30AM to 11AM. You'll get decent parking and have plenty of time to watch the noon race when the Pro, AA, and A classes run for 2 hours. There is a Sportsman class in the noon race...but like samft said, it's 2 hours which is wwwaaayyyyy long for a 1st-timer HS race. Stick with the afternoon race.

The season is almost over...Denver is the last race of the season...so if you decide to get memberships so you can run a class, make sure they are giving you a membership for the next season. Also...and this is a minor thing but, some folks get their knickers knotted over new guys jumping into the class at the end of the season when championships are being contended. Those few points count and new racers in the class can mess things up sometimes. So...again...Unlimited is where you want to be.

The most important thing to remember about any of these races is this...HAVE FUN! You're NOT competing for a national title and local harescramble racing is NOT a blood sport...even though some knuckle heads will tell you it is.:ride::worthy: "If'n yer not first...yer last!" Thank you Ricky Bobby!:worthy: Most of the guys racing the NCHSA series are there to have fun and enjoy the opportunity to compete with like-minded individuals of similar age and ability. I really enjoyed my full season of competition in the NCHSA for that very reason.

This is really, really great information - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to the others who have responded as well.