Sign in to follow this  

Piston and ring replacement

Hey guys, been a long time owner of 4 strokes and have had an 06 YZ 125 for about 1.5 years. Great bike, always starts on the first or second kick (which is much more than I can say for my 4 strokes !!)

I am going to be replacing my piston and ring shortly. I have decided i would like to go the OEM route this time around. I see many piston kits that include pins, circlips, gaskets etc. Is there an equivelent OEM piston kit to some of the wisecos etc that I see out there ?

Also, from the hunting i have done so far i dont see the wisecos pistons broken down into a,b,c,d sizes though i would certainly order the OEM size to match my cylinder.

It looks like I will need the following -

Piston

Piston ring

Cylinder gasket

Pin, Piston

Circlip, Inner

Bearing

O-Rings

Any one have any suggestions about where to locate an OEM piston kit and what my best bet would be for gaskets ? Also, anyone recommend a good coolant ? Been using a full synthetic motul coolant in it since purchased.

Thanks !

I like OEM too I just got a few woessner piston kits which look really wicked. But I got still some hours on my pistons.

What I don't exchange is the piston pin, in friction the weaker metal wastes more so the pin should stay intact. Needle Bearing I have used a few twice or even trice but if you are not sure if it is OK a new one bets a used one. So far I was lucky, no bearing failure. Just wash them in gasoline and refat them before usage.

Edited by arnego2
error

Yamaha sells a piston kit. when you are looking at the parts diagrams go to the "optional parts" one, or something like that. It includes piston, pin, rings, and clips. You need to order the bearing separate. I've had good luck with Cometic gaskets. Getting the top-end gasket set is much cheaper than getting individual OEM gaskets.

I have been looking all over the cylinder for a,b,c,d and I can't seem to find it. Any suggestions ?

If its a stock cylinder they are commonly size "B". The tolerances are so minute in the piston sizes that most guys I know run "D" pistons with no issues to speak of and everything always measures out within spec.