Sign in to follow this  

Ensenada hotels value and security?

I know this has been asked in the past, and I have read the old posts, but it has been a couple years. Things change. Places run down. Other places step it up. Wondering if you Baja experts have suggestions for a hotel for the Baja 1000? Criteria we are looking for: 1) close to the start 2) security for our bikes that will be chained up in the back of the truck 3) secure location to leave truck and race bike while pre-running for three days 4) clean 5) good dollar value.

My VERY limited experience from last year: We stayed at the Costa Baja very near to the start line. It was clean. The owner Pete was a good guy, even helped us block off a parking spot just for us in the garage, security guard was present, but didn't really instill total confidence(Must point out that we had NO issues) and the location was good.

We plan to book 1-2 rooms from Wed Nov 16 thru Sun the 20th.

What say you Baja Gurus?!?!

I know this has been asked in the past, and I have read the old posts, but it has been a couple years. Things change. Places run down. Other places step it up. Wondering if you Baja experts have suggestions for a hotel for the Baja 1000? Criteria we are looking for: 1) close to the start 2) security for our bikes that will be chained up in the back of the truck 3) secure location to leave truck and race bike while pre-running for three days 4) clean 5) good dollar value.

My VERY limited experience from last year: We stayed at the Costa Baja very near to the start line. It was clean. The owner Pete was a good guy, even helped us block off a parking spot just for us in the garage, security guard was present, but didn't really instill total confidence(Must point out that we had NO issues) and the location was good.

We plan to book 1-2 rooms from Wed Nov 16 thru Sun the 20th.

What say you Baja Gurus?!?!

If there are any rooms left, I would book the San Nicholas.

San Nic was sold out many months ago. Some even got expected long standing (years) rooms reservations sold out from under them (not me, BBM is secure at the SN).

MikeF - I'd be pretty surprised if you find anything with said requirments still available this late. Also, "close to the start" and "good dollar value" are subjective.

Check your PM, i might have what you're looking for near to SN.

Assuming Nicolas Cage is full:

Villa Fontana is the recomendation. Not good for coming and going alot around contingency and race day. Walking dist to start, pool Jacuzzi. Nice guys Benito and Efrian have been the same guys since for years.

Its no Baj Mahal, but your stuff is safe.

My 2

If all else fails, try El Presidente! Directly behind San Nic, gated and totally secure (provided you're parked inside the hotel). Might even come with a few bed bugs.

San Nic was sold out many months ago. Some even got expected long standing (years) rooms reservations sold out from under them (not me, BBM is secure at the SN).

MikeF - I'd be pretty surprised if you find anything with said requirments still available this late. Also, "close to the start" and "good dollar value" are subjective.

Check your PM, i might have what you're looking for near to SN.

25 rooms at the last 8 Ensenada races and the San Nic sold me out because my guy missed one email from a new address. I thought I would have earned a courtesy call.......

Good value my arse, the rooms are so expensive during the race. We pay $55-75 every other day of the year but pay $170 a night per room with a 3 day minimum.

GOOD LUCK

The secret spot Tim mentioned he would PM you about had rooms when I was there last and it's a pretty good.

I suggest not only locking the bikes to the truck but when I feel unsure I bust out the thick chains and locks and lock the truck wheels to the leaf/axle and to a pole. Maybe they see one locked up and move to the next one.

FYI - we start planning the Baja 1000 the day after the last one as so do many people, especially when it come to prime rooms.

The Baja Fools have not lost anything in the Bahia parking lot over the last 10+ years. Right in the heart of things and the rooms have recently been upgraded. Karaoke bar is pretty loud depending On the room location. We'll be there Wednesday night.

I've had things go missing, and we've had doors punched out... even in gated or guarded parking lots (even in SanNich parking lot!). I sleep with one eye open on race weekends when staying in Ensenada and out of earshot of my vehicle.

... if your able to contact Dolores, it's super safe in "Kings Coronita". An RV/Trailer campground that's just North of town.

Here's her comments on her myspace page;

Welcome to King's Coronita RV Park! We offer a wide range of options for the traveler at large. -Freestyle Camping -Space rental for Trailers and Motorhomes -Fully Equipped Trailer and Casita rentals -Long Term Rental Homes... Our amenities include: -15 and 30 amp hook-ups and running water in every space -His and Hers shower facilities with HOT water -Newly Remodeled Clubhouse with ping-pong table and BBQ -Playground for the Kids -24 Hour security -Convienient access to the Coral Hotel and Marina... Come and experience Mexico in class and comfort with King's Coronita

I've stayed at Quintas Papagayo a few times. Never had any problems and I like the location, about 1 mile from the start/finish. The security is pretty good, especially when the big car teams stay there.

I'm sure it was a nice place 30 years ago. It is a little rundown now.

Good place to stuff 4 or 5 guys in the same house and divide the cost. You can haggle for pricing.

Some teams in the last few years have gotten a lot of stuff stolen from inside the rooms at Papagayo's. Must be a inside job. Unknown if the perp ever got busted.

Las Palmas has good parking, good security, and the rooms are fine. A little off the beaten path but I think that's a good thing.