Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Muddobers 2011 AMA Enduro #10 race rep

I arrived in Matthews Ind, around 6 pm local time after driving 4 hrs through monsoon rain from Mid Michigan. Registered row 87, got some food and bought some clear tape, extra blanket & tried to find a stick on digital clock for the bike. Prepped for a cold (38F, high hum) night in the tent by the river. I froze...

Got a good start on the first 9 mile test but dumped hard, breaking off left bark buster. Then got stuck in a pretty bad bog for 15 min. Did not have time to waste for the second test (went thru @ min 92). Tought, tight woods riding with lots of slick roots and log crossing that would push the front tire off the trail. Crossed a couple of creek/bogs without too much problems.

Test 3 was punctuated by 3 river crossings (1-2' deep 50-70 yrds long) which were uneventful except for getting up the bank the other side. Got to a huge hill right after a creek crossing. Doubled back to get as much momentum but then crashed hard into a F!@#$$%%g small tree at the base, stopping me cold and ripping off left radiator plastic shroud. Now I'm exhausted and really pissed. A land owner at the top of the hill felt sorry for me and had me cross the creek twice and find a flatter trail to get me up.

Got to another hill with a dog leg at the top. Dumped the bike 3' from the lip and pulled the bike up. Got scored @ checkpoint 7 where I was advised I was close to timing out.

Test 4 stopped me cold - a big river crossing following by a steep 20' rutted fully muddied hill (86 x5 riders b4 me). Crossed the river, stopped at the base, doubled back and got more speed. 70% up the hill after making thru some monster ruts, looped the bike. Barely made it out of the way before rolling down the hill and picking myself up in 2' of mud. The bike was upside down midway up the hill. Flipped it back down, dragged it out of the mud then the F!@#$%er wouldn't start- 50-75 kicks later, a couple of sweep riders showed up. They basically looped their bikes over the lip of the hill, tumbled down to the base then climbed up. One of the them stood on my pegs while I held the handlebars and started the bike. I recrossed the river got to a road & rode back to the pits.

In looking @ the results, I timed out during the second test. The only good thing is that I almost finished the 65 mile enduro. Was on the bike from 10:27 to around 2:30 with maybe 10 min break.

Improvements for next time: get a decent night sleep, retighten all barkbusters with blue locktite, get a Rekluse clutch, starter or both. Get a 20-40 min starting minute.

You get so tired that it's like riding drunk (not that I'd know). You make the stupidest mistakes and end up in ditches that you wouldn't during a normal training ride.

I'm going to conquer one of these soon.....

Sounds like when I ran the Jack Pine a few years ago. I timed out also. Haven't run another enduro since but I am thinking about running as much as I can next year. Let me know if you plan on running any next year and we can ride together. Maybe carpool if you live in the Detroit area.

Troy

Troy- thanks for the offer. I'm actually moving back to far north Chicagoland tomorrow after almost 7 months in Mid Michigan. I'm planning on doing 2-3 of the last 4 dist. 17 enduros - the last one is Goshen, Ind. Nov. 6 which is also part of dist 16 and 14 schedule.