Sign in to follow this  

How do you make a clapped out old XR80 seem like a dream bike? (rhetorical)

You give it to a kid that doesn't know the difference!

My buddy gave my son this old XR80 last spring. It was pretty cool, because it gave me a good reason to buy myself a bike, dust off my old unused gear and get riding again, with my son.

But enough about me. The bike is a 1986 XR80. My son Zach is 8 years old, and had never been on a motorcycle before he rode this one. The clutch was a bit of a steep learning curve, but he has it all figured out now.

IMG_4567.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

• Like 1

hey the old XR's are great bikes to learn on. my neighbor got one that I learned to ride on before getting my own KX80.

he is 8!? i wasnt jumping nearly that high until i got on my 250f, i was about to turn 15 :smashpc:

I had an 85 XR80 when I was a kid. One of the best bikes I ever owned. I used to run it on MX tracks until I exceeded its capabilities.

hey the old XR's are great bikes to learn on. my neighbor got one that I learned to ride on before getting my own KX80.

I agree, and my son thinks it is the hottest bike around...

he is 8!? i wasnt jumping nearly that high until i got on my 250f, i was about to turn 15 :smashpc:

Yea, he's eight and fearless. He's used to catching big air on his downhill skis, so I guess he feels comfortable doing it on his bike too.

I had an 85 XR80 when I was a kid. One of the best bikes I ever owned. I used to run it on MX tracks until I exceeded its capabilities.

I'm pretty sure Zach has bottomed the suspension on his quite a few times. Next year i will buy him a little more modern bike, but for now, he enjoys running the guts out of this thing.

Great bike, superb quality..

We can't complain too much. For a 25 year old bike, this thing just keeps going and going.

Cool little bike.... with a great story.

Thanks!

I also grew up riding on of those, amazing bikes, have fun riding with ur son!

I also grew up riding on of those, amazing bikes, have fun riding with ur son!

Thanks, I sure will!

Those xr's are good bikes to learn on. I learned on friends 87 that was pretty well loved, err loved to death. I didn't care it was something new to me and I loved every minute I spent on that bike.

damm your boy is launching that xr!! Sweet!

get him on something newer with suspension and watch out!

Thanks for the comments guys. here's a couple more pictures that I took yesterday:

DSCF2075.jpg

DSCF2073.jpg

DSCF2068.jpg