Sign in to follow this  

Greasing bearings

Im hurt and gonna be picking up a new bike soon. Before i even ride it im going to tear into it and grease everything and gell all the crappy oils out. my question is, if i grease the bearing now will they still be ok a month or so down the road? or does grease have a shelf life? what about suspension and motor oil?

Greased unused bearings (as will suspension fluid) will be fine for a few years. Prep away. Engine oil, six to nine months, depending on where the bike is stored. Humidity/moisture can accumulate in an engine due to temp changes and air moving in and out of the breather. If the bike is kept in a climate controlled area, it may be ok for years however... The engine should still be started regularly and the oil changed every six months to ensure no rusting and acid formation. I run any bike not in long term storage at least 15 minutes every thirty days.

I got rid of 07 RMZ 450 about a year ago and upgraded to a 11 CRF 450R, your going to be lovin it, the older RMZ was a tank compared to the new bikes! I usually go 10-20 hrs before regreasing and the shelf life "i think" depends on the conditions you ride in. ie - mud, sand, river crossings, whatever.

i misread that, grease should last years unused in storage. The only thing "fortunately" i have to woory about is piling up the hours on a new bike!

i misread that, grease should last years unused in storage. The only thing "fortunately" i have to woory about is piling up the hours on a new bike!

dont know if you saw my sig but i just left off from my 07 450. loved that thing. it was a tank but an industructsble one. 140 hours no valve movement and all stock motor. i am so excited for my new bike. thanks for all the input will and loomdog

dont know if you saw my sig but i just left off from my 07 450. loved that thing. it was a tank but an industructsble one. 140 hours no valve movement and all stock motor. i am so excited for my new bike. thanks for all the input will and loomdog

Wish I had that sort of luck with my 07...

Use waterproof grease if you ride in the mud or water and it'll last even longer!

Greased unused bearings (as will suspension fluid) will be fine for a few years. Prep away. Engine oil, six to nine months, depending on where the bike is stored. Humidity/moisture can accumulate in an engine due to temp changes and air moving in and out of the breather. If the bike is kept in a climate controlled area, it may be ok for years however... The engine should still be started regularly and the oil changed every six months to ensure no rusting and acid formation. I run any bike not in long term storage at least 15 minutes every thirty days.

I'll add just one thing to Williams' post; He lives in a warmer place than I do.

starting your bike during a really cold ime of year, assuming it's in a normal unheated garage needs a bit of consideration. you have to get the bike hot enough to burn the moisture out of it if you're going to start it. 15 mins at idle may not be enough. if you live somewhere cold, my belief is that you're better to leave the bike sit than to start it and get moisture formed on the cases from the increase in temperature. I'll put a shot of fogging oil in my cylinder and hook the battery up to a battery tender as well as draining the carb and getting some stabil in the tank. the bel ray grease I like doesn't like to flow very well when it's really cold either. :smashpc:

All and all my RMZ was a pretty good bike, I did crack a piston but I heard that was a common occurance on that bike. sorry to get off track.

Grease doesn't have a shelf life.

Red greases are generally considered "premium" and are more resistant to washout and pounding out.

One of the best deals in grease I have found is Mobil 1 Synthetic, it's about $7 a tub at Kragen or wherever is similar.