a. The manufacturer’s original concept of either single or double

shocks must be maintained.

b. In the 250 Motocross Class, the replacement and modification of

forks and shocks are limited to the following:

i. Forks and shocks may be either stock or aftermarket units listed

on the Approved Equipment List. This list is available from the

AMA Pro Racing Technical Department.

ii. Homologated inner and outer fork tubes, axle lugs, cartridge,

and piston rod must be retained; modifications are permitted.

All other fork parts may be replaced.

iii. Homologated shock body, shaft and reservoir must be retained;

modifications are permitted. All other shock parts may be

replaced.

iv. AMA Pro Racing must receive written notification from the

manufacturer of any superseding of controlled parts before

such parts may be used in competition. The manufacturer’s

parts list reflecting the superseded part must accompany the

notification.

v. Approved forks, shocks, and superseded parts must be

available in the U.S. through dealers or distributors to AMA Pro

Racing Motocross-licensed riders for the entire current season.

A dealer or distributor must fill confirmed orders, accompanied

by a 50% deposit, within 15 business days of receipt. Failure to

fill a confirmed order may result in withdrawal of the component

manufacturer’s homologation approval.

vi. Fork and shock assemblies must be complete and functioning

assemblies, in addition to the controlled parts. Retail prices of

approved forks and shocks may not exceed the following cost,

exclusive of all taxes:

Both fork legs (less triple clamps): $4,500.00

Shock assembly: $1,750.00

Hey AMA,where can I buy my A kit showa Suspension.

at the great price of $ 4,500 for a fork set and

1,750 per shock

? Some of the top pro riders dont even like the A kit. Its not like its going to work for everybody

? Some of the top pro riders dont even like the A kit. Its not like its going to work for everybody

Respectfully, I don't care not the point at all. May help some may not others. I just want to know where I can buy it AMA, it's your rule.

Respectfully, I don't care not the point at all. May help some may not others. I just want to know where I can buy it AMA, it's your rule.

you can buy them from Pro Circuit

Yea im not quite sure what you are upset about?

He's pointing out the disparity between the rule and what is actually the norm for a high end team. I think the point is that all of the parts are within the cost, it's the engineering costs and R&D that ends up making that suspension set up in the $20K range. The rule is grey in that respect.

A wise racer once told me that the difference between winning and not making an event is the spectrum of a team's willingness to push the limits.

-Kerry

What? The forks cost 4500 and the shock cost 1750 to buy. What is so grey? Even a privateer can go over that limit if they want to get it re-valved if they feel pro circuit didnt do a good enough job.

I think if you do a little research you will find the suspension is a little more than you think. You cannot buy factory level stuff for 6,250$ Try double that, and then some.

What's grey is the fact that the team can claim the price they paid for the set up is 6250... reality is the price to make it perfect for each rider is substantially more. Not arguing about the how JohhnyZ requires a 1500 spring to make him cream his pants when he rides.

-Kerry

IMO, most AMA rules are a joke and are implemented to keep the privateers in their place, behind the factory(cheater) teams. I like to see all podium finishing bikes get full inspections.

Indy rider you nailed it ! that's my point AMA F'ers ! I personally know two pro riders both riding on different satellite teams. One has forks that cost over twenty grand, and the other a little over fifteen grand. Parts R&D it's all part of the overall cost to make them, and were not even talking about personal rider setup yet. The rule says the exact same product has to be available not to exceed 6,250. Go price out real showa works suspension,and not what Mitch Payton is calling works pro circuit suspension. You can find a watered down version starting around ten grand from showa. When one of the pro's I know rides with a friend of mine, who's fast as hell and will more than likely go pro soon himself.Their equals when they ride together on production modified bikes and it's awesome racing to watch, but the minute he gets on his team bike with that motor and suspension he cant even keep up not even close. it makes a big difference at their level if it didn't they wouldn't waste the money or the time on it.

I'm I the only one that thinks there's something wrong with this have,have not crap in pro racing.

EQUIPMENT STANDARDS

AND TECHNICAL RULES

3.9 Forks and Shocks

a. The manufacturer’s original concept of either single or double

shocks must be maintained.

b. In the 250 Motocross Class, the replacement and modification of

forks and shocks are limited to the following:

i. Forks and shocks may be either stock or aftermarket units listed

on the Approved Equipment List. This list is available from the

AMA Pro Racing Technical Department.

ii. Homologated inner and outer fork tubes, axle lugs, cartridge,

and piston rod must be retained; modifications are permitted.

All other fork parts may be replaced.

iii. Homologated shock body, shaft and reservoir must be retained;

modifications are permitted. All other shock parts may be

replaced.

iv. AMA Pro Racing must receive written notification from the

manufacturer of any superseding of controlled parts before

such parts may be used in competition. The manufacturer’s

parts list reflecting the superseded part must accompany the

notification.

v. Approved forks, shocks, and superseded parts must be

available in the U.S. through dealers or distributors to AMA Pro

Racing Motocross-licensed riders for the entire current season.

A dealer or distributor must fill confirmed orders, accompanied

by a 50% deposit, within 15 business days of receipt. Failure to

fill a confirmed order may result in withdrawal of the component

manufacturer’s homologation approval.

vi. Fork and shock assemblies must be complete and functioning

assemblies, in addition to the controlled parts. Retail prices of

approved forks and shocks may not exceed the following cost,

exclusive of all taxes:

Both fork legs (less triple clamps): $4,500.00

Shock assembly: $1,750.00

Hey AMA,where can I buy my A kit showa Suspension.

at the great price of $ 4,500 for a fork set and

1,750 per shock

The rule does not say it has to be available to the general public at all. It just has to be available to licensed pros. I would interpret that to mean they could sell the same setup to Joe General Public Weekend Warrior for as much as they want.

Indy rider you nailed it ! that's my point AMA F'ers ! I personally know two pro riders both riding on different satellite teams. One has forks that cost over twenty grand, and the other a little over fifteen grand. Parts R&D it's all part of the overall cost to make them, and were not even talking about personal rider setup yet. The rule says the exact same product has to be available not to exceed 6,250. Go price out real showa works suspension,and not what Mitch Payton is calling works pro circuit suspension. You can find a watered down version starting around ten grand from showa. When one of the pro's I know rides with a friend of mine, who's fast as hell and will more than likely go pro soon himself.Their equals when they ride together on production modified bikes and it's awesome racing to watch, but the minute he gets on his team bike with that motor and suspension he cant even keep up not even close. it makes a big difference at their level if it didn't they wouldn't waste the money or the time on it.

The physical parts that the top teams are using in the lites class are available to everyone for the price dictated in the AMA rule book. The difference then comes down to shim stacks essentially. Anyone could use the shims in the same order as the top teams, it is just taking the time and knowledge to get them in that order that is the problem. There is no way for the AMA to put a cap on people's knowledge. Unfortunately, the guys with the best knowledge and most time invested into testing cost a fortune, hence why only the top teams can afford to hire them. This is how every form of racing has been since the beginning of racing itself. It's nothing that the AMA has done to separate the top teams from the rest.