Sign in to follow this  

12 tooth sprocket?

Anyone put a 12 tooth sprocket on their 450X? I got a XTS one from RM, but it allowed the chain to start sawing through the case!:smashpc: Luckily I only went around the yard twice.

Checking further, I have found no one offering a 12 tooth for the X outside of the XTS and a $9 also on RM.

So has anyone done this with sucess and if so, what brand did you use?

I don't intend for this to be a permanet setup; I'm just checking out how far I want to go with gearing. The plan is to get a larger rear, but I don't want to spend $50+ and then find out I need more or less.

Thanks,

Jim.

Yes, I'd like to take it down a little. I live in the NE, which is more hills and woods and I don't need all that speed. I thought I'd try shifting it down a bit and see if I liked it or not. That's why I was trying to change the front out; it was a cheap test.

I see though that Honda only offers 2+ teeth over stock on the rear as an option (not sure about others). The front change would be a little more then that, but I was hoping it'd let me make up my mind going one or two teeth more on the rear.

Jim.

I ran a OEM 12 on the front with out any problem.

Do you know what the part number was? My manual doesn't list any optional sprockets for the front.

Jim

the general rule of thumb is 4-5 teeth on the rear = 1 tooth on the front.

Do you know what the part number was? My manual doesn't list any optional sprockets for the front.

Jim

I don't remember the number. I went to my local dealer and asked the parts gal for one and out she came with it. I think and I could be wrong but you can put them on backwards. It may have been after market. That was 3 years ago and I went back to stock when I installed the auto clutch.

Your right. I just ran the numbers and it falls between 4 and 5. I always thought it was 1 to 3 roughly.

Jim.

The 'general rule of thumb' is 3-4 teeth on the rear = 1 tooth on the front.

I don't remember the number. I went to my local dealer and asked the parts gal for one and out she came with it. I think and I could be wrong but you can put them on backwards. It may have been after market. That was 3 years ago and I went back to stock when I installed the auto clutch.

It was aftermarket. There is no 12 tooth OEM offering from Honda.

I ran a 12 last year in the woods of SE Idaho and I used a counter shaft spacer. RM sells them for the R model, Fastway makes one ( Part# 1006590001).

I thought the 12 was a little much and it took too much off the top end when on the road heading to the trail. I ended up adding two teeth to the rear and love the gearing everywhere.

Thanks for that. After looking at the gear ratios, think that's where I'll end up. I just want to bring everything down just a bit. 2 teeth looks just about right.

Jim

My buddies talked me into running a 12 tooth front and a 50t rear. I had the same misgivings as others have previously stated. Must say, after just getting back from a trip to Moab it was fantastic. I'll be keeping it for the tough Colorado trails we ride in mid summer, also. Any high speed rides I can always slap on the 13.

The first sprocket I purchased was a 12t Supersprox and it would not fit over the shaft. :ride: Sent it back and got a Sunstar that fit. 👍 No chain rubbing on the case, though we'll see how long it lasts .. but hey, they're relatively cheap.

Front 12 13 14

Back

53 4.42 4.08 3.79

52 4.33 4.00 3.71

51 4.25 3.92 3.64

50 4.17 3.85 3.57

49 4.08 3.77 3.50

48 4.00 3.69 3.43

Edited by ITSDOABLE

I just switched from the stock 13 front to a 14 and i love it!!!!

plenty of speed, it hangs with the 450'r now. just road some tight first gear second gear single track and it had plenty of torque and traction.

Mods.

Airbox cut, sides and top.

smog blocked

02 R cam

NCVS needle

head ported and polished

stock header with DRD slip on

I could never emagine needing a 12 tooth sprocket on any terain on the X.

I could never emagine needing a 12 tooth sprocket on any terain on the X.

Yeah, but your not exactly running a stock bike. You've probably got 2-4hp over a stock bike, which will make a difference.

Mine's totally stock except for a rejet and opening the air box up a little. And of course a lot depends on riding style and where you ride.

There was another guy here not too long ago that wanted to gear down a little as well and I thought he was nuts to. But after thinking about it over the next ride or two, I realized if 2nd was a little shorter, I could basically forget about 1st entirely, so I thought I give it a try at least. And I certainly don't need the top end. I've never been to the top of 5th yet as there's no place around here to get up to that kind of speed.

Jim.

Yeah, but your not exactly running a stock bike. You've probably got 2-4hp over a stock bike, which will make a difference.

Mine's totally stock except for a rejet and opening the air box up a little. And of course a lot depends on riding style and where you ride.

There was another guy here not too long ago that wanted to gear down a little as well and I thought he was nuts to. But after thinking about it over the next ride or two, I realized if 2nd was a little shorter, I could basically forget about 1st entirely, so I thought I give it a try at least. And I certainly don't need the top end. I've never been to the top of 5th yet as there's no place around here to get up to that kind of speed.

Jim.

Cool. I have had the bike since new and even in stock form i felt like it was geared way to low. we ride some realy steep nasty single track on the oregon coast and up in the mountains of washington.

I race XC, GP and hare scrambles with the 14 tooth it realy runs out and is smoother on the power delivery.

In current form the bike is far from stock. After dyno testing and jetting its closer to 8hp over stock. at our last Gp race my max speed was 87mph in a dusty straight away 👍:ride:

The 'general rule of thumb' is 3-4 teeth on the rear = 1 tooth on the front.

so what does this mean? 1 tooth up on the the front is like dropping 4 to 5 or gaining 4 to 5 on the rear?

so what does this mean? 1 tooth up on the the front is like dropping 4 to 5 or gaining 4 to 5 on the rear?

Yes. If you go to www.gearingcommander.com, you'll see that on the 450x, changing 1 tooth on the front falls between changing 4 and 5 on the rear.

Jim.

• Like 1

It's really easy math.

If you have a 12 tooth front and a 50 rear, you divide 50 by 12 to get your final gear ratio.

50/12= 4.17 final drive ratio

55/12= 4.58

50/11= 4.55

55/13= 4.23

It's not always as simple as "one on the front is equal to five on the rear".