Sign in to follow this  

lots of cranking for cold start

i only ride my new (to me) drz400sm once or twice a week and it requires a lot of cranking to start cold, typically 7-10 sec. if i didn't know any better i'd say it wasn't getting fuel, like it had "dried up". once it starts everything is fine, choke can come off fairly quickly and it seems to run great. warm it fires right away. low miles, well maintained, big bore kit/hotcams/3x3/rs2/fcr39mx carb. don't know how the carb is set up, actually i know zilch about carbs anyway. any suggestions would be welcome.

use a battery tender
And doing the free power mod will help your battery out....https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627031

Your winter is coming....:smashpc:

agree'd

in the winter i have to give the throttle a blip or two pull the choke and hit the magic button. i cover my bike in the winter even though its kept in my garage year round but i like to keep her warm:busted: but filling the float bowl helps a ton

i did the petcock 'pri' thing today and it fired right up, although it had only been sitting for a day so that may not mean anything. the weather is so nice right now i'm riding it almost every day, might be a few weeks before it sits long enough to see what really works :smashpc:

Blip the throttle 2-3 times, choke, and then magic buton, sshe should roar...let it warm up, check valves every probably like 200-300 miles maybe? not sure, but keep the motor tip top and she'll run like tip top