Sign in to follow this  

Do clutches need to be warmed up?

I've had my yzf250 for a few months now and i notice if i'm loading it in the morning or late at night I can't push it around in first with the clutch in. If i got ride it a little it seems to be better, also I just got a 93' cr250 and it will still turn over the engine in first with the clutch pulled in! What's going on here?

so your plates are sticking when its cold... what oil are you using?

No, but they often do swell with heat.

So a cold clutch could belloose at the lever, a hot one, tight. Many find they need a little adjustment (tightening) at the beginning of a ride then a little loosening once it gets nice and hot.

Clutch 'drag' is a function of cold, thick oil.

not sure what oil i'm using is it the same as my engine oil? if so 10w-40, but if it isn't i'm not sure. should i just change it all together?

Same oil. Change times vary from some who change it after every moto to those that change it every ten hours of run time and most someplace inbetween. Fresh oil is most noticable by improving shifting. But change it if you are not sure.

I noticed that with one of my bikes. Doesn't like to be rolled around in gear, and I gotta let it warm up for a few minutes before I can ride it. I equate it up to cold oil.

Yes, clutches do drag more when the oil is cold and viscous. Most bikes I know need a quick rev as you drop them into gear while warming up on cold days to keep them from stalling. Once warm, there are no more issues.

Hey intensem1rider. If you're going to be a jerk do it on someone else's thread. No one finds your post funny.

As for everyone else, thanks for the good replies, I guess nothing to worry about!

my crf use to stall if i started it and put it in gear using clutch