Sign in to follow this  

How to power a Garmin E-trex from the bike electrics

You could combine this type of procedure...

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/78086-fuse-block-power-outlet-install.html

with a etrex power cord that plugs into a cigarette lighter.

It'll set you back probably under 40 bucks including tax to do it all.

I'm unaware of any other system that is completely integrated. If you're savvy with electrical and can figure out how to step down your voltage to 3V then you should be able to run a direct line from your battery. Otherwise you'll need the regulator off of the garmin power cord plugs to keep from frying your electronics.

Asuming you have a 12VDC electrical system on your bike, Just buy the cigarette lighter adapter for the eTrex. You can either buy and wire up a Cigaretter socket from any auto parts store to plug in to or open up the Cig Lighter adapter, and hard wire it to the system. I hard wired mine to the tail light circuit. I am not sure if this applies to the eTrex, but some Garmin GPS's have an internal voltage regulator and will tollerate some voltage variation, but check it out before you make any assumptions.

Asuming you have a 12VDC electrical system on your bike, Just buy the cigarette lighter adapter for the eTrex. You can either buy and wire up a Cigaretter socket from any auto parts store to plug in to or open up the Cig Lighter adapter, and hard wire it to the system. I hard wired mine to the tail light circuit. I am not sure if this applies to the eTrex, but some Garmin GPS's have an internal voltage regulator and will tollerate some voltage variation, but check it out before you make any assumptions.

Seems the E-trex does not handle voltage variation well (spec'd at 3.5V max.)