Sign in to follow this  

Knows Problems with the 2008 CRF450R

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a very clean 2008 CRF450R. I have searched through the forums in hopes of finding a thread that somewhat summarizes known issues with the 2008s, but I was not able to find much. Should I be looking for anything specific? I don't want to ride the bike until I am sure I have taken care of any known issues that could cause long term problems. Thanks guys!

Known Mods: Typical (Skid plate, radiator braces, Clutch Perch, Foot Pegs, etc...), Factory Connection suspension (re-valved and springs), and Pro Circuit T4S Exhaust.

Jake

Title correction: Known Problems with the 2008 CRF450R

Edited by sbdblyss

The 08 is a great bike. It really doesn't need anything but a good chain, although tuning the suspension for your weight, skill and riding type is always a good idea.

The 08 is a great bike. It really doesn't need anything but a good chain, although tuning the suspension for your weight, skill and riding type is always a good idea.

Alright, I am going to work on that tonight. I was told that the best place to start is the rear shock adjustment, is this correct?

At the moment, the steering dampener is completely loose, even though the adjuster is turned completely clockwise (maximum). Do I need to rebuild it?

Alright, I am going to work on that tonight. I was told that the best place to start is the rear shock adjustment, is this correct?

At the moment, the steering dampener is completely loose, even though the adjuster is turned completely clockwise (maximum). Do I need to rebuild it?

turn the damPER the other way . your "clockwise" with the damper being upside down may actually be ccw.

Remember, the stock damper does not do ANYTHING in the middle of the steering, it starts to dampen the steering further right or left of center.

The only problem with the 08.. is that the price is usually driven UP on them as they are known to be about the best crf450 out there :smashpc:

Start with the rear race sag setting. A good starting point is 104mm. Then measure the free sag to determine that you have the correct spring rate. Free sag should end up at 25-35mm with the proper rear spring for your weight.

Set all the clickers in the stock positions and tune from there.

• Angry 1

Okay. Yesterday, I was able to ride the bike for the first time. Everything felt pretty good except for the front suspension. When I ride on flat ground, the bike feels like the front is shuttering up and down. It almost feels as if there is some free play in the forks, but that is not the case. I checked the front wheel and it is perfectly true. I will start with your advice about adjusting the sag this evening and I will report back.

Also, I am getting a rattle from the chain hitting the swing arm. Is this normal? It is adjusted properly, but I may go a little tighter.

Thanks!

Okay. Yesterday, I was able to ride the bike for the first time. Everything felt pretty good except for the front suspension. When I ride on flat ground, the bike feels like the front is shuttering up and down. It almost feels as if there is some free play in the forks, but that is not the case. I checked the front wheel and it is perfectly true. I will start with your advice about adjusting the sag this evening and I will report back.

Also, I am getting a rattle from the chain hitting the swing arm. Is this normal? It is adjusted properly, but I may go a little tighter.

Thanks!

The chain slap is normal with a worn out chain. Run 25-35mm of slack. 25mm when it's dry. 35mm when it's muddy.

The 08 forks were known to have mid stroke harshness. The fix was to get them revalved, short of that you can lower the oil height. But do get your shock sag set first or you will never figure it out. BTW if am 245 with gear and set the oil height at 350cc.

I run my 08 CRF450 forks with 4mm sticking up out of top triple clamp, made a good difference along with 105mm shock sag, triple damper 1CCW due to too much head shake for me at 7CWW. The forks are the worst part about my best ever dirt bike. at 190lbs, run .49 fork and 5.9 springs, 365cc fork oil and install DID VT2 chain (same as CRF450x has)

I really appreciate all of the replies, and I will be taking all of the advice and replying as soon as I find a second to do so. Thank you!