Sign in to follow this  

2 oil drain bolts? I just drained 1 and refilled it before I noticed there was 2.....

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I'm gonna ask it again because I just got this bike. I read that you drain both, but fill it back in the oil filler hole 1.5L w/ a new filter. Well, I didn't drain both, just the bigger plug, then I filled it back 1.5 w/ a new filter, is this gonna hurt anything or is this ok?:smashpc:

1.5 liters sound like a lot, thought it was only 1 liter. A decent amount comes out of the small drain bolt (the newer bikes only have one). When I had an 07 I would take out that bolt, hold the kill button and use my hand to "kick" the bike over, just like I do with the larger drain. A lot will come out.

1.5 liters sound like a lot, thought it was only 1 liter. A decent amount comes out of the small drain bolt (the newer bikes only have one). When I had an 07 I would take out that bolt, hold the kill button and use my hand to "kick" the bike over, just like I do with the larger drain. A lot will come out.

Gotcha, thats what I did, well kicked it over and over with my hand bc it was bubbling up in the oil filter box. It says it right on the bike. Theres an OEM sticker on there that tells you how much to put if its dry, dry with a new filter, dry w/ a wet filter, etc... 1.5 sounds fine. My RMZ took that same amount. You used 1 type of oil, 1 fill plug, 1 drain plug...

Oil change: 1.3 L

Oil change with filter: 1.35 L

Completely dry: 1.5 L (I am not certain on this one, cannot remember and have never had my engine torn down to need this amount)

Anyways, I think you are putting too much oil in. May not be a major issue as the crankcase breather will just puke out the excess (I just wouldn't want to be the one to clean it up).

Have fun.

Chris

The smaller 8mm drain bolt is what drains the oil thats in the transmission. You will get a fair amount of oil out of that (1-200 ml's I'd say). So with the 200ml you had left over thats dirty, and now the 1500 mL you just added your like 16-1700 mL which equates to 1.6-1.7 L. You're pretty overfilled. 1.35 with a filter is enough. Its going to puke a lot of it out of the overflow filler tube, now would be a good time to pull that tube off the case adn make sure its not plugged or you're going to have some blown seals...

The smaller bolt drains the crankcase. Not much comes out of it. You can skip draining it, since a lot of people ruin the tiny threads after a while.

The smaller bolt drains the crankcase. Not much comes out of it. You can skip draining it, since a lot of people ruin the tiny threads after a while.

Exactly. I ran an '07 for 120 hours and only removed that small drain bolt once.

Exactly. I ran an '07 for 120 hours and only removed that small drain bolt once.

Ok cool, thanks. So, after draining the big bolt, changing the oil filter, how much oil needs to go in? I was told the oil should come up halfway in the little glass window on the clutch cover..

Ok cool, thanks. So, after draining the big bolt, changing the oil filter, how much oil needs to go in? I was told the oil should come up halfway in the little glass window on the clutch cover..

I fill mine to the top of the window, run the engine briefly, let the oil settle back into the engine for 10 minutes or so, then top it off to the top of the glass.

I fill mine to the top of the window, run the engine briefly, let the oil settle back into the engine for 10 minutes or so, then top it off to the top of the glass.

man since when did filling oil in the case become so complicated :banghead:lol. So you take it to the top? I'll run it for a few and see what it does. When I out 1.5 in there it took it to the top, but I didn't drain any...

Just add 1.3 liters.

1.35 if you do the filter.

Only use the window to see IF it has oil.