Sign in to follow this  

California REPOST**Checking interest level in a NorCal ThumperTalk cabin retreat weekend**

...last post of same name got quickly hijacked. Seemed an uphill battle to have honest posts at that time. Would appreciate hearing from riders who might be interested...

I have a cabin located in Pioneer, CA. It is on just over an acre at the end of a court. It has 7 sleeping areas with four being traditional rooms. One is a game room with two beds that can be closed off and the other two rooms have pull curtains. If people knew each other and could go more than one to a room, it can hold a large number of people. The most that have slept there at a given time I believe was 19, though that isn’t optimal…I post that to relay capacity. I’m thinking maybe 8 max to see how it works?

I host an annual guys weekend where we hold poker tournaments, play golf, go shooting, have movies playing in the background, hit the OK Corral bar, eat tri-tip, drink some beer, etc. It has proven to be a pretty good time.

My question then is to check on the interest level from the ThumperTalk community to hold the same sort of cabin weekend with the same sorts of general activities but an emphasis during the day on riding. The entrance to PiPi off of highway 88 is 9 miles from my cabin. Gold Note and Elkins Flat OHV’s are in that area. Bring yourself or a buddy too and meet up with some like-minded guys. Share a brew, share some stories, share some knowledge. In the past we each paid something like $30 a person and that has been plenty for the whole trip Fri – Sun, and eating really well.

I'm all the way in Southern California and that sounds like something I'd be interested in. What a great idea.

Poker/Golf/Shooting all sound like a blast as well.

EDIT: Removed comment about possible trouble coordinating meals (See towards the end of your post you have that figured out nicely.)

:smashpc:

I'm all the way in Southern California and that sounds like something I'd be interested in. What a great idea.

Poker/Golf/Shooting all sound like a blast as well.

same. Im out in Santa Barbara but if the timeline works and i have enough time to schedule my work load and projects around it, id be game

Do you ever rent the cabin out?

We haven't rented it out yet. We give weekends or weeks to friends here and there. My little sister throws herself a birthday bash there every year. I went last year and all I can say is....her friends know how to have a good time. We had everyone in the local watering hole chanting with us as we salted the bar and tried to slide shots to each end while the girls made arches standing atop the stools. The owner lit off fireworks inside and let her boyfriend plow snow with his bobcat. Might not be the best course of action before a good day of riding however... :smashpc:

wish it was closer to Mendocino NF id be in :smashpc: i got friends with cabins but there old Lady's don't want a bunch of smelly dirt riders there.

Last time I was up with a group there were a few of us in the crowd who have bikes and it got me thinking that one thing that could top the weekend is if it centered around riding.

I like to host and am capable of doing so close to the riding areas. It just seems a good fit, and my wife fully supports riding.

If this was to gain traction I imagine it could be relaxed atmosphere where we could figure out who wants to go where, ride where and we could stay as a group or split up/come and go as the group soft of feels it out.

I would probably write up a couple menus and throw it out to whoever is committed, ask if anyone has any food they really want to see there and then do a Costco run prior to getting there so that would be taken care of.

After a day of riding play some cards and a sample of dinner menu might be:

Ceasar Salad

Marinated Tri-Tip

Honey Chili Haricot Vert

Rosemary Fingerling Potatoes

Baked Beans

Garlic Bread

dinner menu might be:

Ceasar Salad

Marinated Tri-Tip

Honey Chili Haricot Vert

Rosemary Fingerling Potatoes

Baked Beans

Garlic Bread

I might come over just for dinner!

id be down to at least come up for the day on saturday.

Hmmmm,

Now all you gotta do is pick a date! :smashpc:

Can't wait too long, if Skipro gets his way, it'll be snowed in real soon! 👍

Dove............. you need to know who you're dealing with...............

Edited by superslyko
Can I bring my Tannerite?

Hmmmm,

Can't wait too long, if Skipro gets his way, it'll be snowed in real soon! 👍

I watched that whole video.

Hmmmm,

Can't wait too long, if Skipro gets his way, it'll be snowed in real soon! :busted:

👍:banghead: You need to ride more and stay off U-tube...

Dove,

This idea is FANTASTIC. You got guys postin' from L.A. & the Bay Area 👍 wanting to drive up & be a part of this!

Strike while the iron is hot! :smashpc:

P.S. Post another menu and I'm gonna explode.

Hmmmm,

I'd really like to wait until that weekend before I pick my date, but I'm guessing it's going to be YOU superslyko. Can't wait.....👍

Dove,

This idea is FANTASTIC. You got guys postin' from L.A. & the Bay Area :busted: wanting to drive up & be a part of this!

Strike while the iron is hot! :smashpc:

P.S. Post another menu and I'm gonna explode.

Sounds like there may be interest then....ok cool. I will see about throwing it together and giving it a try. Can't strike too soon, got a couple trips in the works, but I will start looking to throw it together. It's super easy since the place is stocked.

I think the only concern at this point is the snow coming too early. I heard Kirkwood got a bit this weekend. How real a concern is Elkins snowing over? Where is ElDorado when you need him? 👍

Are you looking for date suggestions?

Oct 22nd

I know, that's a ways out but I'm working through the next two weekends.