Sign in to follow this  

People wonder why local shops go under...

I hate local shops. They are always at retail or higher and no where close to BTO sports, or motocross giant. I have to order all of my stuff online. If you need something today or tomorrow, boy 'o boy are you going to take it...

$6 for a ratio right cup (No I didn't buy it).

• Like 1

Really?! bet you love wallymart too...

I would rather support local shops than give my money to some corporate yahoo's...I don't mind spending the extra couple bucks and have that shop down the street for when I really need them for a last minute part or service...and if you spend enough money at your local shop the owner will be grateful and take care of you when he can, either lower prices or free tire changes...

give your local shop your money! keeps your money local and out of the pockets of the greedy corporate goons!

and too your $6 ratio cup comment, even if you got one online for $2 you still have to pay shipping and most online shops have a flat rate of $7-8 for shipping and you have to wait a few days hoping the shipping service doesn't loose it, damage it, or the neighbor kid jacking it off your door step before you get home...am I missing something here? $6 sounds like a deal...

$6 is a deal to me.

I'd rather support a local business. The more and more support you give them, the lower and lower their prices will go. Often times if you make good friends with the business owner you will find yourself getting discounts or other free services because they want to treat you right. There are a couple of shops in town that are a bit pricier than big businesses, but they go out of their way to help you. I remember one time I was bringing a bike into a local shop just as they were closing, and the owner offered to take my bike in and have a look at it real quickly. 15 minutes later I was out the door with the parts I needed. He didn't have to take his time to do that, he could have just said to bring the bike back tomorrow, but because he went out of his way and made me, his now loyal customer the #1 priority, I now go there as often as I can. That's that little thing called Customer Service :smashpc:

well apparently you dont live in the Santa Barbara County Area.

We have a shop here, Dan Waller's Precision Motorcycle Service and Repair

best damned shop in the history of mankind. Fraction of the dealership costs on maintenance and his turn around is better and arguably so is the work ( i havent been to our local dealerships for work in over half a decade, so i really cant comment). Been going to him for 14yrs now both street bikes and dirtbikes - hope he never retires :busted: terrible thing to wish for i know :smashpc:

DAN'S THE MAN !!!! 👍

BLASPHEMY!!!:smashpc:

Local shops support our sport, and we should support them in return. The more shops we loose the weaker our riding community gets. Their prices are going to be higher than online, as long as it is within reason then it is fine by me. Customer Service goes a lot farther for me than prices compared to what's on the internet, dirt biking is expensive no matter what.

Maybe if you bought your parts at your local shops, you might find that they get to know you and recognize your loyalty and will give some discounts here and there.

BUY LOCAL, BUY AMERICAN MADE TOO.....

the shop i go to is pretty good about things. there is also a guy who works in the parts department who gives pretty good discounts. super nice guy. saved me $50 on an expensive trip.

well apparently you dont live in the Santa Barbara County Area.

We have a shop here, Dan Waller's Precision Motorcycle Service and Repair

best damned shop in the history of mankind. Fraction of the dealership costs on maintenance and his turn around is better and arguably so is the work ( i havent been to our local dealerships for work in over half a decade, so i really cant comment). Been going to him for 14yrs now both street bikes and dirtbikes - hope he never retires :busted: terrible thing to wish for i know :smashpc:

DAN'S THE MAN !!!! 👍

+1

Got a shop about 1/2 mile from my house just like the one you describe. The mechanic there is also the owner of the shop, and in all the years I've been dealing with him, I've never had a problem with his work. The only person I'll let touch my Hayabusa.

Their parts prices (including sales tax) are no more than, and sometimes a little less than, online prices after shipping is added. Plus, if anything is wrong, they bend over backwards to make it right. Sure can't say the same for most internet places.

BLASPHEMY!!!:smashpc:

Local shops support our sport, and we should support them in return. The more shops we loose the weaker our riding community gets. Their prices are going to be higher than online, as long as it is within reason then it is fine by me. Customer Service goes a lot farther for me than prices compared to what's on the internet, dirt biking is expensive no matter what.

Maybe if you bought your parts at your local shops, you might find that they get to know you and recognize your loyalty and will give some discounts here and there.

BUY LOCAL, BUY AMERICAN MADE TOO.....

You do realize your talking about Japanese motorcycles don't you 👍

I hate local shops. They are always at retail or higher and no where close to BTO sports, or motocross giant. I have to order all of my stuff online. If you need something today or tomorrow, boy 'o boy are you going to take it...

$6 for a ratio right cup (No I didn't buy it).

$6? It's $5.50 at Rockymountain, I'd pay $6 locally just for convinence, and to support local shops.

Where are you in Arizona, and what shops are you going to? There's a big conglomerate of shops out there that I personally dislike, although it's been about 3 years since I've lived there. Also had some excellent local shops that I always tried to buy from, even if it cost me a touch more.

I'll add that I'm not sure how much of a bargain some people are getting with internet transactions. I know plenty of people who need $75 worth of goods but feel they just have to buy some extras to get their total over $99 to take advantage of free shipping.

I usually buy from my local shop if it's an item they can get. The exception is if I absolutely have to have the part now and they can't get it in a timely manner - but that's not all that often.

Screw it - let's just order everything from the 'net to save some bucks... And when all the locals are gone, Wal-Mart and Amazon can open their Power Sports divisions. Then we'll have the choice between ordering what we'll hope is a quality bike from Amazon that doesn't get crushed in shipping or buying one of maybe 4 Chinese child-labor models from the local Wal-Mart Super-Universe Store.

Wal-Mart, Lowes, Amazon, etc. have killed way too many mom and pop stores already. Does anyone remember being able to walk into a mom and pop and lay hands on a quality item before buying? Jeez that was great. And someone with actual knowledge of the products answering your questions. Now we rely on reviews from who knows who on amazon - or go to Wal-Mart to buy their sub-standard crap. And heaven help you if you actually need an intelligent answer from your average Wal-Mart or Lowes employee.

Greystoke

i tried to support a local dealer, parts guys clearly diddent have any background in bikes. they kept ordering the wrong parts for me. Now that you can order Oem parts online thats what i do and i always get the right one. Alot of places are gonna fold. this dealer already did a year ago and they were around since the 60's

I buy as much as I can from the local places. the place I've found that treats me the best actaully specializes in custom Harleys. I can call the owner any time, tell him what I want and it's there in two days. I never ask him how much something is going to cost, I have a general idea before I order it and I know he'll treat me fairly. it comes in, he calls me to let me know it's there and I go pay for it. he's never taken advantage of it and spends a lot of time with me looking for obscure parts that he probably won't make squat getting for me. I'd buy anything from the guy. Steve's Custom Cycle in NY.

I'll add that I'm not sure how much of a bargain some people are getting with internet transactions. I know plenty of people who need $75 worth of goods but feel they just have to buy some extras to get their total over $99 to take advantage of free shipping.

Greystoke

yea i understand that but when somethings already going to cost you 100 bucks then might as well go online find it cheaper get a few extra knicknacks for the cost of what that one thing would have costed you at your local shop. i buy the items i need fast and the ones that are reasonably priced

I spend about 500.00 per month with Rocky Mountain and am totally happy. My last local shop folded last month could care less they never had anything in stock usually took five days or more to order anything and the parts guy was a smart assed face pierced idiot. Last weeks RM order was a pair of g-force wheels two tires upper and lower shock bearings. This weeks order is an FMF pipe brake pads for YZ's tires for my KTM and mounted tire for the toy hauler. I'm hoping my rebate will cover top end for my XC

My local shop went under a couple years ago. Wish it was still here, but they were a ticking time bomb. I mean when a Kawasaki dealer never has oil filters in stock for a Kawasaki...what do you expect. Where I used to live there was a great local shop and I would buy from them because they were the guys we rode with at the track, you couldn't help but realize they were great for our sport and you would pay a few bucks extra to keep them open! I wish more people where I live now would have bought from the local shop, then maybe they would have been able to afford to keep a few oil filters in stock. Please buy local when possible, the internet dealers do have some deals, but the local shops are the heart of our sport!!!

My local shop wanted $185.99 for a front tire and 35 bucks for one I repeat one single tire spoon. I turned around and walked away.

Turns out that around 3 months later they went under, screwed Kawasaki and Yamaha for over 6 million dollars. And the night before they went bankrupt all the bikes on the showroom floor and in the back "vanished" and no one knew were they went...........

I spend about 500.00 per month with Rocky Mountain and am totally happy. My last local shop folded last month could care less they never had anything in stock usually took five days or more to order anything and the parts guy was a smart assed face pierced idiot. Last weeks RM order was a pair of g-force wheels two tires upper and lower shock bearings. This weeks order is an FMF pipe brake pads for YZ's tires for my KTM and mounted tire for the toy hauler. I'm hoping my rebate will cover top end for my XC

wish i could put in multiple orders right after one another with the total being hudreds of dollars