Sign in to follow this  

Private property legality issues

So basically there is a local who has a private track in fenced off property. We chatted a bit today and he says that he won't let anyone else ride on it due to legal issues (the usual suing suspect comes up), besides him and his son. Contracts won't work (it's not worth the piece of paper it's printed on) so I am wondering if anyone knows of any legal agreements or something so that he can let us ride on it without fear of being sued?

We're being hammered down by the police up here in our town, so it's hard to get out and ride anymore.

Now days everyone thinks they will get rich quick by sueing someone for any reason. You can have them sign everything under the sun and they will still sue. I wouldnt let anyone ride on my property unless they helped pay for the insurance. Its a sad thing but friends have sued friends and with the court system the way it is and juries that think "they should at least get something" for getting hurt, even if it is their fault, have ruined it for everyone.

Even if you don't sue them, and you have health insurance, and you end up in the hospital the insurance company might go after them. I took a gnarly spill and ended up with a sweet concussion at a friends house on our 50 track. Months later I was getting papers from the insurance company wanting to know exactly where it happened and who owned the land and that if I didn't return them they wouldn't pay for any of my medical bills.

Even if you don't sue them, and you have health insurance, and you end up in the hospital the insurance company might go after them. I took a gnarly spill and ended up with a sweet concussion at a friends house on our 50 track. Months later I was getting papers from the insurance company wanting to know exactly where it happened and who owned the land and that if I didn't return them they wouldn't pay for any of my medical bills.

yea, my buddy that recently got hurt went through the same thing. luckily he got on medicaid and they didnt ask a thing about it. so nothing was pursued and the insurance company still didnt get the info. which is dumb on their part, if they really want to investigate it they could simply look where the ambulance was and heli took off from.

Our general rule is, if anyone asks where it happened...:

"I broke myself pushing my lawnmower out of my shed at my house."

👍 free health care :smashpc:

i can see the issue. no sense trying to make someone let you ride on their property. besides, it sounds like he just doesn't want a million people tearing up his track so he has to groom it every week

i can see the issue. no sense trying to make someone let you ride on their property. besides, it sounds like he just doesn't want a million people tearing up his track so he has to groom it every week

Except that's likely not the case. In any manner, even if me and my buddies tore his track up, we would offer to maintain it.

During a conversation about a local paintball field and their waivers, I once had a lawyer friend tell me "the first thing a good lawyer will do is render any signed waiver / agreement void."

I didn't ask him how (likely would not have understood the legal jargon), but I trust he's telling the truth.

Like others have eluded to, even if you don't go after the guy once you've injured yourself, it is likely your insurance company WILL if they find out you were riding there... and insurance companies typically have good lawyers.

During a conversation about a local paintball field and their waivers, I once had a lawyer friend tell me "the first thing a good lawyer will do is render any signed waiver / agreement void."

I didn't ask him how (likely would not have understood the legal jargon), but I trust he's telling the truth.

Like others have eluded to, even if you don't go after the guy once you've injured yourself, it is likely your insurance company WILL if they find out you were riding there... and insurance companies typically have good lawyers.

That's just how ****ed up our insurance companies are. If they would have their ways they would probably sue their own clients...