Sign in to follow this  

99 kx100 vs 03 yz85?

Hello guys I am in need of advise although I know I havnt even covered the bases yet with regard to my preliminary testing but maybe you can help me know where to start, my 99 kx 100 (project bike bought a few months ago) seems to bog at speed, load up BAD spooge all over.

When I got it the kips system wasnt working at all and I repaired it, installed the kips shaft lined up with the dot on the case and at least now it moves.

I have not done a compression check yet but the bike starts easily, and runs great until you hit wide open, at that point it just seems to hit a wall and smoke like hell, Im pretty sure its not the rev limiter, the pipe is dripping oil, but it has never fouled a plug! always starts right up!

should I just start with a compression check? Or perhaps new packing on the pipe? As far as the kips goes it moves but I dont know at what point it is supposed to move, maybe its opening early? or late?

I know this I have a yz85 and I am quite certain that my 100 wouldnt have a snowballs chance in hell competing in a race with the yamaha, what I dont know is if that is by design, or if something is wrong with the 100.

The yz has smaller wheels than the 100 could that be why it feels so much faster? Sorry guys this is a real post I just dont know where to begin! and experience or help appreciated...

P.S I have not checked the jetting yet ...:smashpc:

over 100 views and no reply...?

well in case it helps another rider I discovered the spark arrestor was so jammed up with carbon and nasty hard oil deposits the bike could not breathe!

I tried to repack the silencer (fmf turbine core) and found the problem, spent an hour wire brushing and cleaning the tube and the bike does not even ride the same! twice the power at higher RPMs at least! I also dropped the needle to the second from the top and it smokes no where near as much, throttle seems crisp, and the bike is far more rideable, pulls the wheel up when it hits the power band (wow it has one now!) thanks to the members who read my post even if You didnt have an answer...

I would double check jetting and maybe try some fiddling with it a little more yet

id also turn the air/fuel screw out 1 and a half turns from the seated position and start from there. run a clean air filter. do a couple plug chops to see where the air/fuel is burning. its harder with todays fuel, but you can get it close.

well if its more than about 2 1/4 out then you need to go down on the pilot jet, and if the top end feels a little flat and groggy then you can drop the needle and go down on main.(one at a time)