Sign in to follow this  

07 yz250f

Hello all,

I just bought a YZ250F and It is in pretty good shape, but I wish I would have looked it over a little better before I bought it. I think it may have been raced, maybe hare scrambles or something like that, I noticed that it had bark busters, usually a sign of being raced! But anyway it is still in great shape, I paid $2500 for it and it starts first kick and relativily clean, all the plastics look good and the engine is strong.

Something I did notice is that the engine is popping and a little backfiring going on. I am also getting a weird smell coming up, like burnt plastic or something, but nothing is burning. I also noticed that the header pipe is glowing red! Anything unusual here? I originally bought this bike for my son to race (harescrambles). I figure, we are going to replace most of the parts, so why buy a new one? Now I am thinking about just making it a practice bike! I usually keep two bikes for him, so we always have a good bike for racing. Anythoughts on the 07YZ250F. This is my second 4 stroker! He ran around on a CRF150R for a bit, but we sold it for this bike! I have been running 2 smokers my whole life and I don't know if I like the change. Thanks for any info!

07 yz250f is a very good bike...if you smell something then you are more than likely sitting still way too long...probably not a thing out of the normal...you sound way to paranoid and over thinking the bike to me...so what if its been raced...that dont make a bike junk...riders that dont race can be harder on a bike than racers so that makes judging a bike whether its been raced or not a poor scale to rate the condition of a bike...sounds like you got a good one and good luck:ride:

Make sure it's jetted correctly, carb clean and idle mixture screw adjusted properly. Header will glow if sitting still too long

I love my '07. The engine is very reliable and the stock suspension is pretty good. Keep an eye on the steering stem bearings, the top seal tend to leak.

My header visibly glows in the dark but I've never noticed it glowing during the daytime. The previous owner might have had it jetted for an aftermarket exhaust but put the stock exhaust back on and never re-jetted it.

Hello all,

I just bought a YZ250F and It is in pretty good shape, but I wish I would have looked it over a little better before I bought it. I think it may have been raced, maybe hare scrambles or something like that, I noticed that it had bark busters, usually a sign of being raced! But anyway it is still in great shape, I paid $2500 for it and it starts first kick and relativily clean, all the plastics look good and the engine is strong.

Something I did notice is that the engine is popping and a little backfiring going on. I am also getting a weird smell coming up, like burnt plastic or something, but nothing is burning. I also noticed that the header pipe is glowing red! Anything unusual here? I originally bought this bike for my son to race (harescrambles). I figure, we are going to replace most of the parts, so why buy a new one? Now I am thinking about just making it a practice bike! I usually keep two bikes for him, so we always have a good bike for racing. Anythoughts on the 07YZ250F. This is my second 4 stroker! He ran around on a CRF150R for a bit, but we sold it for this bike! I have been running 2 smokers my whole life and I don't know if I like the change. Thanks for any info!

Since I have one I'll chime in here...

Bark busters are actually more of a sign the bike was used in the woods. Is it the type that lock into the handlebar grips or the floating type? Most MX track rules don't allow the into the handlebar metal style...so maybe it wasn't raced. Popping is completely normal when letting off the gas, mine does it and every other 250F I've ridden does it. My header glows at night as well.

Steve0

Funny you are worried about the bike being raced, our bikes are raced, but I guarantee you they will be in WAY better shape than anything that wasn't.

Racers generally keep their bikes in tip top shape since losing a race to a mechanical failure sucks more that losing it because of human error. My bikes get parts replaced way before it's actually necessary and the fluids are changed constantly, if I get 1/2 hour of ride time out of an air filter before cleaning it, it's a lot. I don't hear that much good stuff about bikes that are just pleasure ridden. Most "farm" bikes as I call them may have nicer plastics at first glance, but I'd hate to see the maintenance schedule on them.

+1. Raced every week. Cleaned, fresh oil & filters every week too.

Ill agree that my raced bike is in better shape then some random guy down the street that rides it every now and then at some sand pit.

But on a side note it seems like you got a good bike. If it starts first kick that usually means that your valve train is good which is a good thing because that's a weak point on these bikes. Backfiring is ok as long as it doesn't do it in excess. If you don't want it to backfire as much just go out on the fuel screw till it stops. Also I would suggest to re-grease the linkage bearings because trying to fix them after they have rusted is terrible lol. I personally dismantle every used bike I get. I always assume the rider before me never replaced anything, even if they were meticulous with maintenance.

I love my '07. The engine is very reliable and the stock suspension is pretty good. Keep an eye on the steering stem bearings, the top seal tend to leak.

My header visibly glows in the dark but I've never noticed it glowing during the daytime. The previous owner might have had it jetted for an aftermarket exhaust but put the stock exhaust back on and never re-jetted it.

Yeah it is glowing bright red in the daytime! I was in the garage when I noticed it, so it is a bit darker in there! I guess I am going to have to check the jetting. The header pipe has a bit of a kink in it, so I thought that might be it. I think I am going to change out the exhaust and rejet the carb, so I will see what goes from there! I have a mechanic coming over to do the KX100 this week, so I will have him go over the YZ!!

If the bike idles for any more than a minute or two it will glow like Rudolfs nose. Do search for "glowing header".

you dont necessarily have to re jet the carb. just go out to practice and do a lap, come back and turn the fuel screw out a 1/4 turn then go do another lap, and do that till it either goes away or is minimal. Don't go by the way the header looks go by what it feels like and sounds like, thats the best test. I can jet a bike to sound perfect sitting on the stand but the minute you take it out on the track it wont feel as good as it sounds...

Another factor in running lean(which is why its glowing red) could be the gas being used. Did the previous owner use race gas? and what gas are you currently using?

Sounds like you have a good bike I would check the fuel mixture screw as that seems like your issue.:smashpc: