Sign in to follow this  

Cutting insert out of stock muffler with 2inch hole saw?

Xr650r. I'm trying to cut the restricted tip out of the OEM muffler with 2 inch hole saw.

I've be leaning on the drill motor for 5-10 minutes with little results other then alot of noise and white smoke.

Think I"m making any progress or do I need higher quality hole saw? The one I bought said for metal.

thanks

I used a hole saw on mine, WD-40 for lube, rock back and forth for a better bite. If it's a Harbor Freight special, probably already dull.

Yep...it's a tough go but it will work. I uncorked my 1st XR650R with this method. Use oil to help cut/cool and keep steady pressure on it. Start with a new hole saw blade and plan on tossing it when yer' done.

It will work.

Uncorked my last and current 650R with a new Honda power tip...lil' pricier but less hassle.

thanks guys.

I was shooting WD40 in there periodically. Is that good enough or should I be using real oil?

If it's carbide-tipped you really only need a coolant.

If the metal is stainless you need to be aggressive to prevent work-hardening.

If it's not a carbide tipped blade, a real lubricant would be good- pb blaster, liquid-wrench, motor oil, etc.

Dave

• Like 1

Got a new blade and went at it again. Nothing yet but I'm still working on it!

The advice of using slower drill speed is good, too fast and the blades don't cut, they polish.

WD40 is not a good cutting choice, use oil. WD40 isn't a lube it's a water dispersant.

Go slow and use oil. If you go to fast you'll burn up the cutting edge of the bit and it becomes worthless. They don't make drill bits like they used to.

you shure your drill isnt turning backwards

LOL I've seen it more than once and if you aren't the guy buying the bits,it is very funny to watch.Holesaws in general suck to use in metal period.Speed has to be right and use plenty of oil to keep the cut edge cool as possible.An old trick-once you have a lead cut made,take a small bit and drill a few holes in the material.This will allow most of the shavings to go thru and not load the teeth up while working the metal.The biggest killer of any cutting tool is heat and loading the teeth.Use 80-90 for cutting fluid.It stinks but it works well.Kinda gives you a new respect for the old timers working iron back before powertools don't it?

I have a Mac holesaw kit and have put 15 2" holes in 1/4" steel without any wear or change in the cutting ability.

Some holesaws are made for metal, many can only handle wood.

I have made 100's of holes in steel with my kit and all the holesaws still cut perfectly.

I lube it with oil or trans fluid, basically whatever is in reach.

A good drill with a 1/2" chuck has enough torque to spin the hole saw at a slow speed when you lean on it. Gear drives are best. A regular 3/8' drill is not the ideal tool to spin it.