Sign in to follow this  

Showa Rear Shock Bladder

Hello all,been working on my 2000 DRZ rear shock.It'is continually leaking down.Loosing Nitrogen only.In two days it drops from 128 p.s.i. to about 35 p.s.i. Being 10 years old I have to question the cap seal and or shrader valve. I have put oil in the crevices of these items and don't see a thing come out at least for 15 minutes.I was thinking to first replace shrader valve if someone can tell me where to get one for the shock.Don't know if it's special because of nitrogen.If not can I buy a new bladder for it. I have removed it from the housing and found no obvious holes .

The only thing you need to make sure is that your new schrader valve is rated for the psi you want to run. There is no special "nitrogen" valve you have to have.

The whole shock used are a dime a dozen. Pick one up and try it out. (If that is the stocker from a 2000 model it is probably shot.) Send it to Cogent Dynamics for a rework oil, valves, seals, nitrogen, if you need to (they can put a different spring on then if you want).

(No affiliation, just a satisfied customer)

Hello all,been working on my 2000 DRZ rear shock.It'is continually leaking down.Loosing Nitrogen only.In two days it drops from 128 p.s.i. to about 35 p.s.i. Being 10 years old I have to question the cap seal and or shrader valve. I have put oil in the crevices of these items and don't see a thing come out at least for 15 minutes.I was thinking to first replace shrader valve if someone can tell me where to get one for the shock.Don't know if it's special because of nitrogen.If not can I buy a new bladder for it. I have removed it from the housing and found no obvious holes .

How are you checking pressure? Unless using a zero loss pin type chuck, your losing 50-100psi per check with a standard Schrader valve air chuck.

The Bladder seals to the cap, slow loss of pressure comes from a bad Schrader valve core, or busted bladder. Bit of soapy water on the Schrader valve will tell you if it is leaking.

The core in the Schrader valve are common.. any short automotive one will work. Take the old out, go to your Napa or other parts store, buy a new one.

But it’s not very uncommon to see one leak, unless damaged.

This is all for naught if you’re not using a zero loss pin chuck, like a Schrader 556 chuck ats-556.jpg

Edited by E.Marquez

Just fyi most biycicle shops have valves too. My mountianbike's rear shock is pressurized at 250 psi.