Sign in to follow this  

Parts Purchase advice

I'm kind of partial to rubber mounted bars. There seems to be two options on the 250sx. ThesePHDS mounts and a one piece top clamp system that adds rubber mounts for about $99. The price on the PHDS are around $199 or so depending on vendor. Has anyone tried the PHDS mounts? Is it worth an extra 100 bucks for this system?

I've also seen a mounting system for a Showa damper. I've never ridden with a Showa style damper, and would like to know it's benefits versus a standard damper. The price seems to be about a wash once you factor in the mounting equipment and actual showa damper.

I'm having a hard time not spending money on my bike, and have never been able to justify parts for looks. Would however like to hit up a few parts that would extend my time at speed. Which is obviously the most fun part of riding a motorcycle. :smashpc:

If anyone has an insight it would be appreciated.

I have the PHDS mounts. It provides a little isolation from high frequency vibrations. They are functional, but a subtle change compared with a Flexx Bar. I like the fact that they do not alter the bike's handling the the Flexx Bar. I can't say whether they are worth the $200.

The Showa steering damper and other steering dampers (Scotts, GPR, etc) are a totally different product. They dampen handlebar turning movement, not vertical shock. Most people use them to smooth out the steering on rough terrain, prevent tank slappers, that kind of thing. Some like the feeling others don't.