Sign in to follow this  

Need help, sputter and back fire like it was running out of gas

650R The PIG ran fine until yesterday (nothing added or changed) now after it gets warm it starts to sputter and back fire like it was running out of gas then die. It seems to start up after it cools down a little. Ignition coil?

This is my primary transportation, capable of fixing it but don't want to throw money at unnecessary parts.

Thanks for any help

The first thing I'd do is see if the carb has come off/is leaking at the intake manifold (this can happen if the bike has backfired on downshift and popped it out/off a bit). The second thing I'd do is flush out the gas tank (could be contaminants/water in the gas) and take the carb off, disassemble and clean it (blow out the passages and jets with compressed air.

It doesn't really sound like and electrical problem to me, but if it still does it after doing the above, the coil would be the next place i would look (sometimes when they're going south the spark will break down when they get hot).

:smashpc:

good to see your still here davis. how has the gas tank line thig worked out?

I have been thinking about doing in in my big tank 6.3. sounds like carb clean it good from supply line down. B

Edited by bigredpig

Well the thread does not tell what year it is, but if it has some years on it, pull the carb and check the air cut valve (diaphram on side of carb), it may have a hole in it. It will be hard to see a small L.E.D. key chain light works good, run it around the back and look for light coming through. If it has a hole your bike will run like crap no matter what you do.

650R The PIG ran fine until yesterday (nothing added or changed) now after it gets warm it starts to sputter and back fire like it was running out of gas then die. It seems to start up after it cools down a little. Ignition coil?

This is my primary transportation, capable of fixing it but don't want to throw money at unnecessary parts.

Thanks for any help

When she dies, see if you have spark. That will narrow it down.

I took the tank off and ran it on a bottle of gas with a spark gap tester and could not reproduce the problem nice deep blue spark.

The reserve seems to be working fine so only one thing it could be.

I started with a full tank and usually get well over 200 mi. I went camping and the extra load and high altitude must have burned up way more gas than typical because I had put it on reserve at 175 mi and usual that happens at 200 something. So basically I just ran out of gas… ;c)

bigredpig;

the setup works well, equalizing both sides but will only siphon gas down to the float bowl level. But it will drain the tank dry if you drain it into a container below the bottom of the tank.

The line is an issue though, the opaque stuff cracks out and the vinyl line gets hard. Maybe a silicone line like used in RC cars will work??

So it only does it when it gets warm, sounds like a stator problem to me.

I would check that first..

With the cost of parts ya can't just throw a new one on there.

Is it an aftermarket stator or OEM unit?