Sign in to follow this  

Older model KTM50SX junior

OK, son has been on the PW50 all summer and doing well, still short and 40lbs, but thinking ahead. See a few SX50 juniors for sale locally, but older (1999, 2000 and 2003 models) - all are drum brake and air cooled in that year range - what should I watch out for most on these, and do you think they are the best option for an upgrade (under $1000).

Mark

there are a couple options. you can go with the adventure which is air cooled and less maintenance, or the pro jr which is water cooled and more of a race set up. both can be easily found for under $1k.

on the pro jr or sr. the clutch will be your biggest expense or maintenance item as it uses bellville washers to engage the drivetrain.

Actually I am told that earlier year KTM SX were air cooled also, this is apparently an air cooled 2000 SX Junior.

Can anyone confirm or refute that?

As I understand, an adventurer is more "trail" and SX is more motocross based.

Mark

The mini is a great motocross bike for a kid starting out. I'd buy the 03, due to the fact that a lot of parts on the 02's- 08's are interchangable.

Click the link >>> http://www.morinifrancousa.com/models.htm <<<<

If I had it all to do over I would buy new instead of used....

same here. at least with these mini bikes, i would opt for a little more money out of pocket to buy a 09+ model, because they are just far superior bikes with much less headache than the pre 09.

same here. at least with these mini bikes, i would opt for a little more money out of pocket to buy a 09+ model, because they are just far superior bikes with much less headache than the pre 09.

You sure about that? Suspension is the same and the 09's were plagued with recalls. In the "jr" frame size it won't matter much as long as you stay '03 or newer.

If you want to race and be competetive in that frame size buy a Cobra. If you want to just have a great all around bike for cheap, buy an 03-08 KTM Pro Jr that has been well maintained and change the clutch washers to the adventure springs until your kid wants more hit. They key to many trouble free hours, which we have had, is maintenance. Any of'em can be total nightmares if they haven't been taken care of...........

Used minis (KTM,Polini,Cobra,LEM etc.) are a gamble, some are good some are bad. Unless you dissassemble the bike you really don't know what you're getting. My kids ride have rode the crap out of thier bikes every weekend (for the most part) since march, I have enough in parts plus the purchase of the used bikes to pay for one brand new mini of the same model and that is just one year of riding they have two more left. If your kid will be putting alot of hours on this bike I highly recommend going new.

I bought a used 2005 mini adventure for my son. The only thing I have bought for it is a used SX pipe. I keep waiting every weekend for this thing to break, but it just keeps trucking along. I change the oil every two weekends and man it just keeps going. I am guessing he has put about 75-100 hours on this bike. I want to try and do a top end on it, but wont until it starts to loose power. Maybe someday...

You are right about the older SX's being air cooled. If you are going to be racing seriously then you need to find a liquid cooled model. Those tend to have more problems than the older air cooled models. But the air cooled do have less power of course. Either way you will have fun and working in the garage with your son counts as quality time also...

You sure about that? Suspension is the same and the 09's were plagued with recalls. In the "jr" frame size it won't matter much as long as you stay '03 or newer.

If you want to race and be competetive in that frame size buy a Cobra. If you want to just have a great all around bike for cheap, buy an 03-08 KTM Pro Jr that has been well maintained and change the clutch washers to the adventure springs until your kid wants more hit. They key to many trouble free hours, which we have had, is maintenance. Any of'em can be total nightmares if they haven't been taken care of...........

i wont get into a orange and yellow debate, because i could care less about either, but my comments were from a maintenance and reliablity standpoint. the 09+ bikes with the different motor and clutch set up were better bikes than the pre 09 ktm 50s.

We have a 2006 KTM 50 SX JR we bought used. :banghead:Bad mistake. All we did was inherit some one else's headache.:ride: Buy a new one if you are planning for your kid to ride more than 6 months worth. Because the parts you buy will equal to what the cost difference is in new vs used.👍