Sign in to follow this  

"06" CRF 50 carb problems ???

Hi guys,

Ive searched around the site and seem to get the same old results.. Time after time..

I purchased an 06 CRF 50 for my boy a while back with some carb problems. The original owner had a hopped up China carb (larger ) on the bike when I bought it..

It didn't run worth a damn ! It was over carbureted in my opinion.. The bike was, and is totally bone stock. It wouldn't idle and required constant throttle adjustments to keep it running.. I pulled the China Carb off and replaced it with the oem one that the bike originally came with.. At this point it ran better but wouldn't idle at all.. So, I pulled the carb apart and cleaned everything really well, and noticed that no matter how much compressed air I blew through it I couldn't see the light of day through the tiny little idle jet. I ended up taking the carb to the cycle shop and they attempted to go through it for me.. Right away, the service person informed me that something had been broken off in the jet in what looked to be an attempt to clear it.. It was lodged (little piece of wire) in there so good that it was unable to be removed.. So to make a long story short I'm now on my third Carb, which I ordered straight from Honda brand new and I'm still having idle and transition problems !! UUHHGG !!

This is what its doing now.. It will not maintain a constant idle.. It likes to idle high and then settle down until it dies.. When its warm it does a bit better but its still not right.. I pulled the new carb apart last night and cleaned it.. It was super clean it looked like a new carb should look inside. I bought new o-rings when I bought the carb from Honda for the spacer and the carb. I even used a dab of Permatex to make sure it was air tight and that there wouldn't be any air intake leaks. Fired it this afternoon and its still running like *** It wont idle, and Ive noticed if you gas it abruptly it craps out.. I know that some of this may be due to not having the mixture screw right.. I have not messed with that much yet.. My question is what could be the cause of this problem(s)? New carb,fresh gas,new plug I've adjusted the valves clean air filter.. Its just a foam cheapy filter.. Is it possible to upload pics here ? I have a question as of what this little black box hooks up to ? There's a black hose that comes out of the crankcase and hooks to one side of it, but the other side (nipple) has nothing coming off of it.. It looks like another hose is supposed to go from there maybe to the stock airbox. Not sure ? Should I be able to see through the small idle jet? I would like to get this thing running like a Honda should run.. I really don't want to take it back to Honda, and pay $80 an hour for them to use a pilot jet reamer on it or something super minor to that effect.. Like I said I would like to upload some pictures of what Ive got going on.. I'll look into that.. Any help will be appreciated ..

Read more: http://forums.dirtrider.com/70/8841140/honda-dirt-bikes/06-crf-50-carb-related-problems/index.html#ixzz1ZrkoAWcu

Hi guys,

There's a black hose that comes out of the crankcase and hooks to one side of it, but the other side (nipple) has nothing coming off of it.. It looks like another hose is supposed to go from there maybe to the stock airbox. Not sure ?

Read more: http://forums.dirtrider.com/70/8841140/honda-dirt-bikes/06-crf-50-carb-related-problems/index.html#ixzz1ZrkoAWcu

Is item 10 the black box you're referring to? That's the crank vent separator. See link to see how it's hooked up.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2006/CRF50F+A/AIR+CLEANER/parts.html

You should start trying to tune this thing with the air screw. It could fix your idle and throttle response problems. My 50 doesn't hesitate when I crack the throttle and neither does my 70, but I've got an 80 with a hesitation you just can't get rid of no matter what. But, the motor shouldn't die on you. It can be difficult to get these little bikes running flawlessly.

And if the bike was over carbureted, it could have been too rich. I would pull the spark arrestor screen and clean it.

did the previous owner fool around with the timing? will it run better if you spray carb cleaner thru it while its running? this could be an ignition problem. maybe a bad ground.

Thanks Punkinhead for the link ... Yes the black box that I was referring to is

Part # E-3 .. Is it ok to just leave that nipple open ? I guess with the stock airbox removed where would it hook up to ? .... Ok, I messed with the bike this morning for a bit and I did make some progress.. I don't think its ever ran this good since Ive owned it.. What I did was cut a slot in the air/fuel screw so I could make minor adjustments. A much better method than using a pin cap because I could never really tell where the screw was in relation to my turn.. Ok, Its idols nice now and maintains a nice RPM... Problem almost solved... Now, I noticed that it runs and idols at its best with the screw almost all the way in... Full rich !! The needle shouldn't be seated all the way should it ? It also makes a squeeking noise when dialed in that far, from the carb.. Why would it run at its best dialed all the way in ? Does this tell me that there still might be something in one of the jets.. From everything Ive read it should be roughly 1 1/2 turns out.. Oh, Im at 3500 ft from sea level as well.. I understand that its going to have to be slightly richer but this is extreme..

The crankcase vapors are routed into the carb to be burned, which is cleaner than just venting to atmosphere. Vapors from the crankcase contain oil vapors as well as burnt and unburnt fuel vapors that get past the piston rings during compression and combustion. It would seem that the effect of these vapors would be to make the mixture richer than if they were not present in the intake mixture. So, I think it makes sense that you would have to richen up the idle mixture to compensate for the absence of those vapors. I couldn't even guess how much effect this would have on your mixture screw setting.

If it were me, I would just hook it back up the way it should be. I can't imagine the it would negatively impact performance noticeably, other than any effect it might have on the mixture screw setting. At the very least, plug the nipple so that unfiltered air isn't going into the carb (and ultimately the engine) and make sure the crank is vented so pressure doesn't build up inside. Also, make sure the vent is routed such that water can't get in easily. Probably less hassle to just hook it up as intended.

I suspect that you are fighting with a cold engine. With a factory tuned carb, the bike will run, but won't idle well or take throttle input well until it is fully warmed up, which takes a solid 5-10 minutes of riding around. The pilot circuit is very lean - I got my XR50 idling will with decent snap off idle, but had to turn the air screw in to something like 3/8 turn from bottomed (500ft). I think I also upped the main a step or two...don't really remember what I put in. The 50 carbs do have an air screw, so don't get confused thinking it's a fuel screw.

JayC

Thanks a million guys... I messed with it some more this morning and it didn't give me any problems at all. I will be on the lookout for a stock airbox and filter. It was just a matter of getting both idle and air/fuel screws in the correct location.. It's just a trip that it wants to run its best with the air/fuel (D) screw 1/4 out from all the way in.. Other than that its perfect !! It hasn't died on me once since I cranked the screw in ..

Now with the help of you guys its fixed !! Thank you !! Much cheaper than taking it to Honda.

Off topic a little bit.. It has a slow leak in the rear tube.. I want to install a new tube in the near future. My question is where is a good place to buy tire spoons ? I don't like the idea of using screw drivers.. I've done damage in the past to both the tube and wheel.. Is there a particular size to buy. I also own a new RMZ450..I may need the spoons for it in the future.

Thanks again

Off topic a little bit.. It has a slow leak in the rear tube.. I want to install a new tube in the near future. My question is where is a good place to buy tire spoons ? I don't like the idea of using screw drivers.. I've done damage in the past to both the tube and wheel.. Is there a particular size to buy. I also own a new RMZ450..I may need the spoons for it in the future.

www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/MOTION-PRO-TIRE-IRON-SET-11/?id=126397

JayC

I also have just purchased an 06 crf50 and its having carb problems, it does idle but bogs real bad at about 10-20% throttle and doesnt want to return to idle very quickly, which is a problem when shifting as its shifting at a much higher than idle rpm. I tore the carb down and cleaned it thoroughly but could not get anything thru the non removable jet - is that the problem? its a great bike other than this.

any ideas would be great....thanks

Ive been looking at the new carbs on Ebay - anyone have any experience with them? $17 seems too good to be true, but is there really that much too them?

Ive been looking at the new carbs on Ebay - anyone have any experience with them? $17 seems too good to be true, but is there really that much too them?

new ebay carb is working great

new ebay carb is working great

Good to hear.  I just ordered one for my grandsons 2001 XR 50.  I'm giving it to him for his 4th birthday Dec 5th.  I've taken the carb apart, cleaned it and it runs a little better, but not good once it gets to 50% rpm.  It studders and backfires and sounds like poo.  I figured for $17 I would try a new carb.  If that's not it, I'm only out $17, but have a new carb and one for parts

Edited by Snotrub