Sign in to follow this  

Is there actually more power to be found 150SX

I'm about to buy a 2012 150SX and am now looking into where to send suspension ect but I wanted to ask is there more power to be found in that engine? It seems to be in such a highly tuned state I am leery of even changing the the pipe because I have read that KTM got its dimensions perfect.

Also, are there any big bore kits or ways to big bore this bike?

Thanks everyone.

IMO, you have it backwards.

I have a 2011, and I would say to leave the suspension alone other than making sure the spring rates are right for you, unless you are way quick and then "maybe". And while the stock pipe is really quite good, the Pro Circuit R-304 gives an already top end bike even that much more.

I've seen people talk about a 200sx. I don't know anything about it but it sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Thanks, I have no plans of touching the motor am only curious about what aftermarket stuff there is.

At my weight springs are a must, no way around it. I am 220 and am trying to get to 200. Someone else in the YZ forum suggested the same thing to me but from everything I have ever read and understand about valving I can't see the stock shim stacks working properly for the much higher rate springs I'll need.

I have the opportunity to send the suspension out and have it included in the price of the bike so I'd be a fool not to have the bike setup for my weight and riding style.

OK I can tell you what I know;) I am 185 without gear and was racing an 08 144sx in 2010 and the beginning of this year. The bike rips and hauls me around just fine. Recently, I used a 2007 125 SX bottom end and a 2008 200 crank, cylinder, and head to make a 200 SX. I am pretty happy with it at the moment but I feel like the FMF gnarley pipe needs to be a fatty for my riding.

Also, my son has a 2011 150 XC engine in his 2007 125 chassis running a 144 pipe and a 39mm carb.

You can make the 150 into a 200 if you want. Yes it can be expensive and you need to split the cases. However, I would think a good 150 crank, cylinder, head, and pipe would fetch good money on the used market to offset the cost of the 200 parts if you even want to go there. You can cut the head and get more compression, even run race fuel if you want to go real high.

I have not checked what stator/flywheel comes on the 2012 but the 2011 came with the 2k2, I have the 2k1 on there now to let it spin up faster.

The bike has a lot to offer, more than most people think. Go demo one if you can.

Depending on your riding style the 200 may be a much better choice. You riding track or woods?

Joe...........