DR650 HIll Climb?

The DR650 with an exhaust and jetting is a powerful bike. If you do some suspension mods there really isn't much this bike won't do, big air aside. I think it must be that the people who have trouble with them are really not the best of riders. I'm shocked at how fast I ride this bike on single track stuff. When the whoops get big it's all over though. I can't wait to improve the suspension.

Yes rider is important but the bike obviously has its limitations. I enjoy tackling the challenging steep 4 diamond trails at Highland Park GA on my MX bikes. I would never consider doing that on my DR:crazy:. I just want to squeeze out a bit more performance from this 350lb dual sport pig.

I just got back from a 300 plus mile DS ride last weekend on the DR. Lots of fire roads and one rather tame OHV section in the Mountains of Ga and Tn. I had the bike weighted down with about 50 lbs of crap (too much). That's really where this bike shines. Try doing that with a light MX bike while you're flying down the trails. You'll soon be buying a new subframe.

Here are couple of pics.

019djj.jpg

017mv.jpg

Anyone who thinks a Dr650 is a powerfull bike with a pipe and jet kit obviously hasn't ridin very many bikes. Every 2 stroke from 125cc up makes more power, weighs less and handles better. 500cc's less and makes more power. Most 4 strokes 250's have the same power as the dr and weight 100 pounds less and have a better suspension. The 450's flat out destroy any dr period. Even the drz 400 is a better peforming bike than the dr. The dr is a great bike for having some fun in the dirt when you have to ride the highway to get to it. I have more fun ripping around town and the back roads than I've ever had on a street bike but when I hit the dirt I know it's not a dirtbike and I wish I had one. Things could be worse I could be on a KLR. T30 nice pictures looks like you had a great time.

Things could be worse I could be on a KLR. T30 nice pictures looks like you had a great time.

KLR ? Yes I did have a great time. Not sure what the speed limits are (if any) but the pig has no problem doing 50 on the gravel/hard pack, even with a heavy pile of camping gear on the back. You have to watch the corners on the gravely switch backs curves for the occasional on coming jeep and/or truck. Also on the corners the front end wants to wash a bit so i had to lay off the throttle. Only issue I had was hitting in big rock that had me sliding sideways on slight curve. Damn near lost it at 25. Luckily I recovered but it was close.

BTW I have both a racing 4-T and a 2T. You're spot on about the power compared to a DR and a DRZ (I had one of those too). My KTM 300 EXC is so wicked fast. When you crack the throttle while in the reves, you'd better be holding on..

Anyone who thinks a Dr650 is a powerfull bike with a pipe and jet kit obviously hasn't ridin very many bikes. Every 2 stroke from 125cc up makes more power, weighs less and handles better. 500cc's less and makes more power. Most 4 strokes 250's have the same power as the dr and weight 100 pounds less and have a better suspension. The 450's flat out destroy any dr period.

Whats your definition of power? if it's whats on paper then you are missing the point. If it's horsepower, again you're missing the point.

Why? actual real world usable torque in the average rev range. A 250/4 on paper makes as much horsepower, but you are neglecting the torque curve. Coming out of a corner without using the clutch, the DR is making a good 2-3x more power. Almost stall it through some ruts or up a hill? no worries a quick flick and you're laying down 4x more power. There's more 'usable' power, more of the time. The 250 has as much power 'sometimes'

Try riding a 250/4 with the throttle pinned through single track, easy to do. Try it with the 650 and you'll be in trouble very fast, yet you can keep up with the 250's doing 1/3rd the rpm and laying down more torque

I went out and test rode some 650cc 4 cyl's and oh my god, I wanted to jump off and walk. Sure they make 110hp at a bazillion rpm but what if i'm just in town, or coming through a corner? I won't be doing 17,000rpm, i'll definately be under 8000rpm which is the piss weak pathetic zone of these bikes and they couldn't peel the skin off a banana. Give the DR a twist on the other hand and it takes off leaving the roadies for dead... until a long straight that is

I can see that some peple just love there Dr's to much to see common sense. All I can say is if your ever in Northeastern Pennsylvania please show me your special dr and show me how to outclimb everything else. Show me how to use my dr's great torque to outclimb all the KTM's and all the bike that climb these hills I can't get half way up. My last two bikes were Kawasaki Kx500's and I did these hills but for some reason I can't figure out how to do them on my torque monster. Post some of your dr's badass climbing abilities on youtube because I can't seem to find any.

I think the DR has enough power for what it was designed to do, especially with a few simple mods. Its just in my quest for the "perfect all around bike" I'd like it to be a bit more powerful. All in all its one of the best all around bikes. Not a speed demon but for a 650 it will turn very tightly in the slow techncical stuff, thanks to the short wheel spacing, and has enough suspension for the majority of places I ride. The biggest issue is not so much power but weight. If its was just 50 lbs lighter this thing would be great. Not sure if that could ever be possible it would also likely kill its nice road manners.

I'm chomping at the bit to go to go back again and do the infamous hill climb that started all this. This time with pics. I can't do it with out someone there to help just in case the bike decides to do a loop.

I can see that some peple just love there Dr's to much to see common sense. All I can say is if your ever in Northeastern Pennsylvania please show me your special dr and show me how to outclimb everything else. Show me how to use my dr's great torque to outclimb all the KTM's and all the bike that climb these hills I can't get half way up. My last two bikes were Kawasaki Kx500's and I did these hills but for some reason I can't figure out how to do them on my torque monster. Post some of your dr's badass climbing abilities on youtube because I can't seem to find any.

Bob, why don't you post up some video showing your inability to ride your DR up a hill and maybe I or some of the other DR riders that have figured it out will be able to give you a few tips to help you out.

I never claimed to be a pro but don't hate on me because you climbed up a few mole hills on a dr and thinks it's a climber. A big hill to some is a mole hill to others. I've been searching the net for days and haven't found anything that resembles a hill that a dr made up. With all the pro dr hillclimers on this site you think someone would have some proof. If you ask 10,000 people who aren't dr loyalst and ask them to pick the best hillclimbing bikes out there none would pick a dr, and if anyone did i'm sure they couldn't pass a drug test. DR650 HILLCLIMBERS UNITE!?

I never claimed to be a pro but don't hate on me because you climbed up a few mole hills on a dr and thinks it's a climber. A big hill to some is a mole hill to others. I've been searching the net for days and haven't found anything that resembles a hill that a dr made up. With all the pro dr hillclimers on this site you think someone would have some proof. If you ask 10,000 people who aren't dr loyalst and ask them to pick the best hillclimbing bikes out there none would pick a dr, and if anyone did i'm sure they couldn't pass a drug test. DR650 HILLCLIMBERS UNITE!:ride:

I've not found any vids of people riding a DR like I ride it either, doesn't mean it isn't being done. I'm sorry but I keep up pretty well with the 525's and 450's. At no point are they 'smoking' the mighty DR. Swapping bikes the 525's do not have as much power right off idle. They have more up top, here's the kicker YOU CANT STAY IN THAT REV RANGE ALL THE TIME! ? which is why 'in the real world' a 250 is not even close to the 650's power output. You will not be tackling hairpin turns and rough shitty hills at 11,000rpm

The only time you'll see a drastic difference in power is in a straight line. In technical riding there's only so much power you can put out, and between all bikes it's not going to vary all that much because once again, YOU... CANNOT... STAY.... AT... PEAK... RPM.... ALL... THE... TIME. 250 coming through a turn at 5000rpm, 650 coming through a turn at 3000rpm, Open the throttle on both, the 650's laying down 2-3x more power and wheel spin

On these tough hills you think you can lay down the peak 60hp on a 525/550? good luck, realistically you'll be putting out half that

Yes rider is important but the bike obviously has its limitations. I enjoy tackling the challenging steep 4 diamond trails at Highland Park GA on my MX bikes. I would never consider doing that on my DR:crazy:. I just want to squeeze out a bit more performance from this 350lb dual sport pig.

I ride stuff on my TT350 that I wouldn't even think of attempting on the DR650.

Untill I remember that when the DR was my only bike, it did get ridden those same places.

Hill climbs however, no way. But that's more me than the bike.

• 1 month later...

I'm with qwerty and the chuga! When I get a helmet cam I'll show ya. My dr chugs up some good slopes. Much steeper and technical than the suggested you tube clips. I'm afraid that I'm the limit here... For now. Bob I don't even love my dr that much!

Admittingly mr dr has a few worthy mods. Perhaps all the mods you could do to one or thereabouts last time I looked! Frekn mx rob Lukas and others!

I'm the farthest thing from an expert on hills, living in South Jersey this goes without saying. I rode in the hammer run last month and there were some pretty hairy hills as far as the extreem angle of the hill, and loose make up of them, not the length. I watched many riders on bikes that were made for this type of riding struggle to get over the top cleanly. This was my first Enduro type of race ever so I'm far from good at it yet my DR pretty much laughed at every hill i challenged it with.

I've said this many times before, I think many people are way to quick to blame the bike on which they ride when they really need to look in the mirror. These days people are spoiled and have way too much money, they can and always have just thrown money at the riding challenges they face in stead of learning how to use what they have. Just my opinion for the little it's worth.

I think many people are way to quick to blame the bike on which they ride when they really need to look in the mirror.

this mainly, but i'm also baffled as to how anyone who's ridden a DR650, can possibly say it's not a good hill climber? really? it's one of the hardest bikes to stall and it pulls at any rpm in almost any gear. The extremely forgiving torque range alone should be enough to get most riders up hills quite easily

If you have trouble on a DR650, you'll have trouble on any bike IMO

it's not the DR's power it's the weight! plus the susp. sucks. I did it all--drz shock and forks, then showa RM usd forks--cam/piston/ carb/air box. yes my dr went everywhere my Berg went, and yes a little slower. just wasn't fun riding s/t on it. my 501 Berg had a rekluse clutch and geared down. it loved tight s/t and more fun to ride than the dr.

don't get me wrong, i liked the dr. I have an old TT600 modded that i like way better than my dr was off road. just ride what you have and have fun!! thats what counts.

Well I took the plung yesterday and bought some front and rear suspension upgrades for my DR from Procycle. Lets see if the new spring rates and valving will help keep the front end from bouncing off all the obstacles I encountered on the climb. I'll be climbing that hill again once deer season ends in January. Right now that place has too many hunters floating about on the weekends and I don't want to disturb anyones hunt, especially a guy with a rifle.

it's not the DR's power it's the weight! plus the susp. sucks.

Ok i'll somewhat agree with you there, but I only found the weight an issue if you come to a dead stop on a steep hill, it's harder to bite in and get moving again. And the only reason that should happen is you're a bad rider. Not me though, my excuse is gearing too high?

It does suck trying to get moving on slippery rocky shit like this http://www.scottsatvtrailpics.com/Other/Wolf-Pen-Gap-4-5-June-2010/IMG1265/895836140_ups3e-L.jpg but if ur already going 10kph+ it's no problem, and I normally hit that sort of stuff at about 50kph

Now i'll agree somewhat on your second point, the part that comes after the launch is where the suspension sucks, other than that I find it's pretty damn good. I can push the mighty DR pretty fast and it'll cope. It's not as plush on the rougher stuff, but it's also not as tiring. My brothers berg tires me out 10x quicker than my DR at any pace.

I had my dr geared real low(like to tinker) for the tight stuff and was better off road, and my Berg susp was done for a big (230#) old slow rider, it was real stiff stock.

I agree the rider has a big part in this----i have known a lot of fast guy's that raced h/s and moto that hate s/t and hill climbs.

My problem was the steep angle coupled with obstacles and lose terrain.

If your front end keeps lifting despite your sitting on the tank, its going to cost you speed unless your willing to chance looping it. Once you slow down on that kind of hill you're toast. I tryed to resume the climb and pushed it so hard it died. I had a hard time re-starting without giving it throttle. My guess is high reves and little forward motion casued it to run high temps which changed the operating dynamics.