Not really.Ok I have a 04 Klr 650.I'm wanting to selling it to get something lighter for doing the TAT & CDT.Now keep in mind I ride to the start of these rides.I hear & read that the DRZ400s is more dirt than street.But I have a friend that He & is wife just finished a 6,000 miles road trip on their DRZ400s.They both had 40 tooth sprocket on the back and said they could cuise at 80 mph all day long if they had too.So I have ridden the KLR 500 miles in a day with NO problem. A friend just did the CDT on a XT225.And he said I would just have more fun on a lighter M/C. And I have a friend that did that CDT on is Gen.II KLR. Looking at a 01 DRZ400.I like to go m/c camping also,so keep that in mind.Looking for suggest should I stay with KLR or will the DRZ do the deal?

TIA for the help.

a few things to consider.

you ride to the rides. this limits your bike selection pretty substantially b/c you need a plate. this already forces you to compromise. the best woods bikes probably aren't going to be street legal.

40t sprocket. this isn't your best bet for woods riding.

power, weight, etc is all going to be similar (within reason).

that being said, you'd be hard pressed to find a multile use bike that beats the DRZ that's not a whole lot of money.

good luck!

I know this is not going to be easy.These is why I like DUALSPORT m/c they R suppose to do both road & dirt equally good.The KLR is ok for what I want to do I just looking for something alittle lighter. I'm not into single tracking. FS roads now day R enough for this OLD Greezer.Where U at in my home state of NY. Born & rised in Utica. Was just back there for my sister funeral services B4 the earthquake & hurricane. Good timing on our part. I don't believe in hauling a m/c when I can enjoy the adventure of the ride.

I know this is not going to be easy.These is why I like DUALSPORT m/c they R suppose to do both road & dirt equally good.The KLR is ok for what I want to do I just looking for something alittle lighter. I'm not into single tracking. FS roads now day R enough for this OLD Greezer.Where U at in my home state of NY. Born & rised in Utica. Was just back there for my sister funeral services B4 the earthquake & hurricane. Good timing on our part. I don't believe in hauling a m/c when I can enjoy the adventure of the ride.

the drz would shine in the single track with proper gearing compared to the klr. since you have no desire for ST, stick with the klr. its much better at long distance slabbing.

still, you should try out the drz for a few miles in the dirt. along with a ktm or two. don't forget the xr650 also. good luck

the drz would shine in the single track with proper gearing compared to the klr. since you have no desire for ST, stick with the klr. its much better at long distance slabbing.

still, you should try out the drz for a few miles in the dirt. along with a ktm or two. don't forget the xr650 also. good luck

Maybe that ST will come back to me as I have not felt comfort enough on the KLR to do that.Background I'm a old motocrosser & enduro rider.Just getting back into the dirt after 30 yrs on road bike.

With a dual sport its all about compromises, my two cents:

The DRZ will do what you want with less weight than the KLR but maybe with less comfort. The trouble with a DS set up is that if it is configured to ride on highways to the trails it won't do well on the tight stuff and if it's set up for the tight stuff it won't do so well on the road.

I have a set of wheels that I keep the Death Wings on for when I'm going to be riding paved roads, gravel, and forest service roads. That configuration is geared at 14/44 and works well except for the freeway. When I single track I change over to my other wheels that have true off road knobbies on them and 14/49 gearing. With that setup I take my bike to the trails in my truck.

If you want to ride ST you would be better served with the DRZ and the proper set up. The DRZ still seems pretty heavy and I cant imagine what the KLR would feel like.

Edit: Or keep the KLR and buy a another bike for the single track.

Edited by npm

You'd think so, huh.. look at real power outputs from the KLR650.. you’ll find it's darn close to a DRZ.

True ..stock verses stock the peak hp output is similar, but the 650 will give a much more relaxed power delivery due to it's Hp and more torque from at a lower rpm ..

KLR650 is 33.9 HP @ 6500rpm and 33.7 ft.lbs@ 3,500rpm

DRZ400 is 34 HP @ 7,800rpm and 27 ft.lbs @ 5,800rpm

the suburbs outside of Buffalo. Utica's a really nice place.

my condolences for the loss of your sister.

as far as trailering your bike to the track; I agree, it's nice to ride. It's also nice to put your broken bike in the truck when you crash it instead of hoping AAA can get you 2 hours home...

To quote one guys sig. 13hp will take U around the world the rest is just wheel spin..LOL Robw122 thanks. The world back road are my tracks. Oh My Brother lived in Ransonville. When I was back there I saw very dual sports mainly GW's & HD's. And I can't find a hat or shirt from a Kawaski or Suzuki dealer that had their name and location on it.