Sign in to follow this  

Converting from standard ignition switch to a pushbutton/switch

I had my bike stolen years ago... twice... before I started storing it in the living room...

They did a number on the locks, specifically the fork lock and the ignition lock. I want to fix the ragged broken ignition switch they left me, and I was considering a very military-esque style upgrade.

I want to have a "missile launch" switch and a red button to handle the startup sequence, I have read that I might need a resistor in the 100ohm category but don't know for sure which wires to put to the rocker switch and which to put to the red start button, and I would love some advice.

I've already pulled the stock switch and harness out, and plan to frankenstein the harness onto my new switches.

Thanks for any advice, guys!

I would love to do the same thing, keys suck!

I am concerned about insurance issues. Can any give a little insight into just how this would affect an insurance claim if the bike was ever stolen and then recovered showing that I did away the key and fork lock system. It sure would seem like a big enough issue to allow an insurance company to shoot down a claim.

I would love to do the same thing, keys suck!

I am concerned about insurance issues. Can any give a little insight into just how this would affect an insurance claim if the bike was ever stolen and then recovered showing that I did away the key and fork lock system. It sure would seem like a big enough issue to allow an insurance company to shoot down a claim.

regarding insurrance, it was stolen in 2 minutes with the factory ignition switch and fork lock engaged. A hidden switch might actually slow them down.

After it was stolen, I started making a habit of turning off the petcock and letting it run dry and pulling the spark plug wire off, haha

Understood, and I agree.

Still it doesn't need to make sense to us, at the end of the day it's the insurance companies that need to agree, understand and be ok with it. I think it would be a big problem with them, more then enough to get a claim denied.

Insurance companies will always try to find any excuse to weasel their way out of paying a claim. With no ignition key, I am more careful to use my disc brake lock. But a hidden switch would go a long way to slow down a thief. Also, a number of alarm systems can be had for cheap (the Gorilla Alarm comes to mind -- I had one on a previous bike).

But keep things in perspective. For me, this means accepting that the DR is not a Ducati, and that I live and work in a reasonably safe place (though, that is not to say motorcycles never get stolen around here). In a nutshell, I'm not loosing sleep over it.