Sign in to follow this  

Front Sprocket Bolt

Trying to change the front sprocket on my 2011 crf450r, but I couldn't break the bolt loose. I tried breaking it loose by leaving the chain on and putting the bike in gear and having my buddy use the rear brake, and I tried with the chain off and putting the bike in gear and still couldn't get the front sprocket bolt loose. Any tips, do I need an impact driver?

Edited by Kman444

put it in 5th gear, not 1st.. with the chain on while your buddy holds the brake pedal. Impact may be needed depending on how hard the last person put it on.

You can try spraying some penetrating oil on it and let it sit for about 10 minutes and give it another shot.

Get yourself a lever arm on the end of your ratchet or wrench for more leverage. For example if you're using a ratchet you might find a hollow piece of metal that's a foot to 3 feet long and putting it on the end of your ratchet for way more leverage.

I would try that before using an impact.

Leverage is your best friend when it comes to breaking bolts loose without breaking the bolt itself.

when you apply heat to a threaded bolt the bolt usually expands at the same rate as the metal it's installed into.

Plus you don't want to heat up that area of your engine.

I'd only use heat as a last resort.

And using an impact on that bolt is asking for trouble.

LET US KNOW HOW YOU END UP GETTING IT OUT PLEASE!

i meant just a little heat on the shaft. and ive been using impacts to take things off for YEARS without issue.but never to put stuff together. why wouldnt you want to heat up "that area" its not going to affect it in any way at all. the normal temps of the trans/clutch are really hot anyways.

Crankshaft seal is right behind your front sprocket.

You'd probably be alright to heat it up a little bit but I wouldn't hold a torch on it.

If that seal goes.... you gotta split your case to replace it.

Crankshaft seal is right behind your front sprocket. you gotta split your case to replace it.

no you don't..... SMH 👍:smashpc::busted:

To free up the bolt, put a 12mm socket on an extension, then rap it with a hammer twice before loosening it with a long brake over bar.

no you don't..... SMH :ride:👍:worthy:

OH REALLY? Then explain to me how you get that seal out because I KNOW it doesn't come out just by picking it out from around the shaft.

Don't tell me "no you don't" and then not back it up

OH REALLY? Then explain to me how you get that seal out because I KNOW it doesn't come out just by picking it out from around the shaft.

Don't tell me "no you don't" and then not back it up

SMH:rolleyes:... I would have searched before that reply you can find alot more if you need to here's one for you:busted:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1012779&highlight=shaft+seal

Okay guys, I just got it. Easy enough, all I had to do was put the bike in 5th gear, use a 2ft breaker bar, and hold the rear brake. Bolt broke loose as easy as that, thanks for you all your advice and help.

SMH:rolleyes:... I would have searched before that reply you can find alot more if you need to here's one for you:busted:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1012779&highlight=shaft+seal

Okay so I was wrong about splitting the case but the bottom line is EVERYONE has a hard time getting them out and it takes hours of pissing around with to replace...

So either way my point stands! IT'S NOT A GOOD AREA TO HEAT WITH A TORCH AND RISK MELTING THAT SEAL, period.

And guess how the guy got it out? With a 2 foot breaker bar just like I suggested. Nice try though buddy, I guess you have nothing better to do with your time than try to prove people wrong.

Okay so I was wrong about splitting the case but the bottom line is EVERYONE has a hard time getting them out and it takes hours of pissing around with to replace...

So either way my point stands! IT'S NOT A GOOD AREA TO HEAT WITH A TORCH AND RISK MELTING THAT SEAL, period.

And guess how the guy got it out? With a 2 foot breaker bar just like I suggested. Nice try though buddy, I guess you have nothing better to do with your time than try to prove people wrong.

.. well he put the bike in 5th gear like I suggested, so there.. 👍

\

I never said how to fix it because Melkman already told him how to do it I only got in this conversation because YOU were giving bad info.👍

I never said how to fix it because Melkman already told him how to do it I only got in this conversation because YOU were giving bad info.👍

I gave NO bad info... :ride:

I was wrong about having to split the case, but it was still GREAT info because I saved him hours of work replacing a pain in the ass seal that YOU told him to heat up with a torch :worthy:

It's hours of BS to replace that seal weather you have to split the case or not :worthy:

I told him it's not necessary to heat up and that he could do it with a breaker bar and not run the risk of damaging a seal... and I was 100% right. :worthy:

You just told him to be a BAD mechanic and heat it up even though there's a rubber seal less than 1/2" behind the sprocket. :worthy:

Still want to talk about bad advise? :worthy: