Sign in to follow this  

fcr 200 bucks

Sorry you will always get a NO from me ..

I wouldn't consider buying a used Fcr...unless the seller is Eddie S........:smashpc:

They are costly to repair and this one seems to be a problem child...that's why the PO moved on to another....

$200 door stop.. I'd pay no more the $25 as a parts cab IF it had a useable floatbowl.

It's a 12 year or more old carb body.. IF I had it in my hands, apart, cleaned, I MIGHT be willing to offer more.. but only after inspection and for a price I was willing to add $100 in parts to.

mehoff i just went down this same road looking at a used carb, everyone said the same thing, "NO"... but i will add that if you trust the seller or could make some arrangement that if its DOA you could get your money back, etc etc etc, then why not. for now, i'll stick with my cvk40 since doing an FCR "right" more or less means buying a new one which is 25% of what i paid for the whole bike!

Since I plan to go this route in the not-too-distant future, can you guys elaborate a bit on what goes wrong with them that costs tons to fix - makes me wonder if "upgrading" is such a good idea. And how you can tell it's 12 years old? Does that stamp above the bowl include manufacture date? If so, how do you read it?

I bought my FCR carb for $168 dollars. I've been very happy, except for the 5 mpg I lost. I had to rejet mine so it cost closer to 200. Its a chance you take anytime you buy something on line. If you have worked on carbs before I'd do it, otherwise no.

Since I plan to go this route in the not-too-distant future, can you guys elaborate a bit on what goes wrong with them that costs tons to fix - makes me wonder if "upgrading" is such a good idea. And how you can tell it's 12 years old? Does that stamp above the bowl include manufacture date? If so, how do you read it?

Used carbs are a crap shoot.

They have to be gone though very carefully.

Anymore.. this is my replacement parts list off the top for an FCR 39 Slant...every time.

Seal for the Vacuum Release Plate

Oring for the Float needle seat

Needle jet

Needle

Main, Starter,and pilot jets

Fuel screw o ring.

AP Diaphragm

As long as the body itself, or the slide are not worn out, and there is no physical damage, you can bring a FCR back in to service.

BUT, one monkey twist of the fuel screw past closed, or a broken off tip from an aluminum fuel screw, worn body, damaged passages cleaned by wire or other incorrect object, carb body soaked in carb cleaner, ham fisted attempt to clean it by separating the top and bottom body parts, stripped screw holes, worn, damaged throttle shafts, dried or cracked fuel bowl packing causing a leak, ..... the list goes on.

Tuning a carb that has any of those issues is difficult for a very knowledgeable tuner.. impossible for a novice.as you just wont recognize as a hard fault, and think it's a jetting issue.

I've bought many used FCR's.. tossed a few in the parts box, used and sold others, and bought one back because the new owner was not having any luck getting it to work.... though, it is currently installed on my personal DRZ,and runs great..

used Carbs... It's a crap shoot.

Cool, very cool. Definitely advance my learning a bunch. But I... gottafewmorequestions. Is fuel bowl packing another term for the fuel bowl gasket? Are you talking about needles and jets just to suit your specific application or do needles get worn? The rest of the first list sounds like a basic rebuild. Of course the big piece of info I lack is whether these carbs have "rebuild kits" available like car carbs had years ago. And, just when I thought I had it figured out: was the carb in the OP's link a slant? Still hoping for a clue on figuring out the age.

Just gotta say thanks, again, for questions answered. The TT community is truly awesome.

Is fuel bowl packing another term for the fuel bowl gasket?

Yes;

Item 44

PACKING

13251-29F00

Are you talking about needles and jets just to suit your specific application or do needles get worn?

Both, yes the needle gets worn, as does the needle jet. (that's the one the needle passes through, it's not "sized" and changed for tuning) the main jet, and pilot jet and slow jet I replace as cleaning is a pain, slow and not always complete.... as well as to tune.

The rest of the first list sounds like a basic rebuild.
Yes and no

The FCR has parts that wear other carbs dont have at all. The FCR has a set of rollers that can wear out the carb body. The FCR has an AP diaphragm a non AP carb does not, and linkage that car become worn.

Of course the big piece of info I lack is whether these carbs have "rebuild kits" available like car carbs had years ago.

I've not seen a rebuild "kit" for an FCR carb.

And, just when I thought I had it figured out: was the carb in the OP's link a slant? Still hoping for a clue on figuring out the age.

Yes it is, and there may be a way to decode a stamped part number on various carbs to get a date of manufacture,, but really, it makes no difference.. I've seen junk FCR's that were a few years old, and old ones that were usable.

Heck there is a thread here somewhere, where a brand new FCR MX was ruined before first install, by a user who over tightened a aftermarket fuel screw, broke the tip off the screw in the body. effectively ruining the carb.

Just gotta say thanks, again, for questions answered. The TT community is truly awesome.
:smashpc:

mmmm.... I thought it looked like a Fcrmx...👍

The pic links do not work for me,img00105201110041734.jpg

The OP on that other forum said it came off " YZ-F " So Im thinking YZ/WR 400F '98-'99, YZ/WR 426F '00-'02, that would be a slant. If you can see the pic and ID it as a FCRMX, then I stand corrected :smashpc: