Sign in to follow this  

how to "blue" a header

hey guys im trying to turn my stock header (2008 ktm 250sxf) blue...its obv not titanium so thats not helping. Anyone have any tricks?

thanks!

jet it really really lean so it runs like crap(and hopefully you dont blow it up in the process)... that will make it turn the pipe blue and gold

you are asking how to change the property of metal umm, dont try and just ride hard.

you are asking how to change the property of metal umm, dont try and just ride hard.

that was a lot of help. you prob could have just not posted

that was a lot of help. you prob could have just not posted

If it hasn't changed color yet, it's not going too...... :smashpc:

Oh and you asked a question and ekulb gave you an answer, just because you didn't like it. Doesn't mean you have to be an ass about it.

• Like 1

hey guys im trying to turn my stock header (2008 ktm 250sxf) blue...its obv not titanium so thats not helping. Anyone have any tricks?

thanks!

Keep it away from female bikes for a month. It will turn blue.

• Like 4

Try a gun making forum. I would NOT use the properties of your KTM engine to try and turn it blue!!!!

Why would you want to turn you're pipe blue? I'm just curious so don't get bent out of shape for asking. If it is just for looks, my question is why? It's a dirt bike for christ sakes, dirt stains are the only way to run an exhaust imo.:smashpc:

I polish mine from time to time mostly to get the brown crap off and in my mine prolong its life. It looks pretty much like the pipe in the above link. Then it turns blue and then brown again shortly after.

And I'm pretty sure the color of the pipe has nothing to due with fuel delievery as everyone seems to believe but I could be wrong. Mine turns blue and its anything but lean so......

....Oh and you asked a question and ekulb gave you an answer, just because you didn't like it. Doesn't mean you have to be an ass about it.

he was being the ass, i will turn it pink if i want

Keep it away from female bikes for a month. It will turn blue.

not productive

Why would you want to turn you're pipe blue? I'm just curious so don't get bent out of shape for asking. If it is just for looks, my question is why? It's a dirt bike for christ sakes, dirt stains are the only way to run an exhaust imo.:smashpc:

no real reason other than looks. im tracking on its a "dirt bike" but come on, i know i am not the only one out there that tries to keep a bike clean and "pretty" if u will. you could eat off of some of my friends bikes. to each his own huh?

look at dungeys pipe, granted mines not titanium, that is bad ass...

16268_rd5.jpg

Titanium pipes turn nice shades of blue when they are new and first get hot. Stainless steel pipes will turn a little blue when they are ridden hard, but tend to go to a gold color. There really isn't a way to get a stainless pipe to stay a nice blue color.

Heat treating can change the colour. Google search colour charts for heat treating. Some engineering outfits will have ovens to bake products in to get the colour nice and even or you could use a blowtorch BUT BEWARE, this may alter the properties of the metal, making it softer(will dent and deform easy), or harder (harder equals brittle) depending on how its cooled, and theres no guarantees it will stay that colour, next time you go for a ride it's going to heat up all over again.

The safer option, if your real keen could be electroplating. Google search.

Forgot to mention, I cleaned up an old rifle years ago and found some sort of blueing paste that worked on gun-metal (carbon steel), given yours is stainless, I'm not sure how this would work but give it a shot, (pun not intended) given a lot of rifles are stainless now, I would think theres something out there for taking the bling out of gatts, try your local gunshop.

Edited by kiwi86
added more

not productive

If you were serious and want a productive answer here is one.

Train real hard and pratice real hard and when you can ride as fast as Dungey somebody will give you a bike with a blue header on it.

look at dungeys pipe, granted mines not titanium, that is bad ass...

16268_rd5.jpg

Ok. If I had a KTM worth $100k+ I would keep it super clean.:smashpc:

Ok. If I had a KTM worth $100k+ I would keep it super clean.:smashpc:

No..... You would have someone else keep it clean for you! 👍

• Like 1

Titanium pipes turn nice shades of blue when they are new and first get hot. Stainless steel pipes will turn a little blue when they are ridden hard, but tend to go to a gold color. There really isn't a way to get a stainless pipe to stay a nice blue color.

ya that was my mistake... i didnt realize that their bikes are running titanium pieces and im not

Heat treating can change the colour. Google search colour charts for heat treating. Some engineering outfits will have ovens to bake products in to get the colour nice and even or you could use a blowtorch BUT BEWARE, this may alter the properties of the metal, making it softer(will dent and deform easy), or harder (harder equals brittle) depending on how its cooled, and theres no guarantees it will stay that colour, next time you go for a ride it's going to heat up all over again.

The safer option, if your real keen could be electroplating. Google search.

Forgot to mention, I cleaned up an old rifle years ago and found some sort of blueing paste that worked on gun-metal (carbon steel), given yours is stainless, I'm not sure how this would work but give it a shot, (pun not intended) given a lot of rifles are stainless now, I would think theres something out there for taking the bling out of gatts, try your local gunshop.

thanks for the help. i did mess with the torch and even cooked some WD40 on it, i got some blue out of it but nothing like the picture. i def alterred the property of it bc i was trying all kinds of stuff. i was aware, but u guys know what happens when u get an idea in your head.... hopefully it holds up..

If you were serious and want a productive answer here is one.

Train real hard and pratice real hard and when you can ride as fast as Dungey somebody will give you a bike with a blue header on it.

yes im serious. i know that you cant hear my tone, i am not yelling. but i come on here quick looking for some good advice. hopefully some knows something that i dont and they are able to help. instead its like night at the comedy club. i just wanted some help man, either u got it or you dont. i dont have time to post nonsense on ppls threads... or sift through it on my own