Sign in to follow this  

correct method for setting 150f mix screw

so I did a bunch of stuff to my '03 150f and I'm sure I need to tweak the mixture screw.

so I kept turning the screw IN and the revs were going up, I assumed that was a good thing and kept bringing the idle down, so on and so on. I think the screw is almost closed.

I know you'll want to ask many questions, but I'm simply asking - is higher revs the better setting or is it getting to lean and burning hotter and not good?

I know I could do plug chops or just wait for alot of riding and then check plug color but I'd rather know relationship of turning the screw and idle changes. Thanks

turning the screw in leans it out... turning it out, counter clockwise, fattens it up... More than 2.5 turns and you should go up on the intermediate jet

Thanks Race, but I know this, but my question is different. I have more air going in, and more out, I up'd the pilot and main.

I just wanted to be sure of myself with the 'idle to mixture turn-direction'. Is the idle going up (whatever direction it may be, cause everything is different) a good thing or a bad thing?

Lastly, to me, the intermediate jet is the needle, is that what your referring to?

The bike doesn't break-up or pop or anything weather the mixture screw is out or in. Its a fresh build and only ran a few mins. Thanks

no, not the needle, the slow jet... you really need a manual... my fingers tire when I have to type from it... There are several threads that have links to the manual online in PDF files...

carb.png

Thanks bud, I have the manual (that's how I did the new build), I actually have a librtary of manuals (past and present bikes), this is the first I ever seen one speak about how to adjust a mixture screw!

So if the idle is still going up when it goes in all the way I guess I need to up my pilot jet again

Thanks

what main and slow jet do you have in there now?

i had a 120 main and a 42 pilot on my 150, and it ran great.

dang...thats kinda fat on the main. I never went past a 110 when i had mine.