Sign in to follow this  

Dr. Mark: Knee injuries in the amateur rider

I was re-reading my smart ass post regarding femur fractures and knee braces and contemplating...so for the average weekend warrior/amateur who is riding single track and doing very little jumping, or low height jumping, it would seem that the risk to knee would be greater than the risk of femur fracture. I would suspect that the majority of riders would fit into this category. Perhaps this would be the best candidate class to recommend asterisk, evo, etc knee braces. Your thoughts based upon you research.

Also, was Trey Cannard wearing a brace with the 1st and recurrent femur fractures? Anyone know?:smashpc:

there are alot of good braces, and I make it a policy not to endorse anyone of them for fear of someone saying I am on their payroll.

I was re-reading my smart ass post regarding femur fractures and knee braces and contemplating...so for the average weekend warrior/amateur who is riding single track and doing very little jumping, or low height jumping, it would seem that the risk to knee would be greater than the risk of femur fracture.

i'm no doctor, but I've observed alot of weekend warriors. The main risk factor is they are overweight and out of shape and don't do any stretching or warm-up. IMHO, that puts knees at bigger risk than wearing or not wearing braces.

Note that plenty of people manage to tear ligaments while wearing expensive braces too. many americans seem to want to just buy solutions rather than do things the easy way. everyone takes pills and buys devices instead of just losing weight and exercising and stretching.

there are alot of good braces, and I make it a policy not to endorse anyone of them for fear of someone saying I am on their payroll.

Got back into the saddle a few weeks ago after a few months layoff, and even then I was new to MX track riding...

I rode 3 days the first week back, then took around 5 days off and rode again. During or after the last two sessions, my knee has begun acting up. It is really tight behind the dorsal side of the knee joint and essentially feels tight where the hamstring / knee connections would be (I.e. Apologies for the less than technical descriptions). I'm getting a little bit of swelling on the front of upper outside area around my knee as well. It feels OK when I first get up from bed in the morning, but gets worse the more I walk around on it (Haven't been doing that very much though). It isn't like it is anything unbearable or immobilizing, but I don't want it to get worse and prevent me from riding more.

Last year I had my other knee tuned up and cleaned out by Dr. Gasser (Florida Ortho - www.floridaortho.com). He was great and the surgery / recovery went well. When I came to, he said he couldn't wait to see my other knee b/c the one he'd just worked on had a "Lifetime" of wear and tear on it. I was only 34 at the time... :ride:

Anyways, I'm wondering if I need a knee brace on the left knee. I'd like to find one that performs well at a reasonable cost (I.e. Bang for the Buck), however I'm not sure if one will actually help given my symptoms.

I'm guessing I just need to schedule another appointment with Dr. Gasser, but I'm wondering if you'd recommend a brace in this case, and if so, which one(s)?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice, Doc!

👍

Shawn Cartwright