Sign in to follow this  

Radiator Guards VS Stock Radiator Louvers

Hey guys I usually put some radiator guards on my radiators but I've been wondering if the engine stays cooler with the stock plastic louvers that direct air into the radiators.

What do you think?

I put the Devol radiator guards on my CR250R and it was nice for the few times I laid it over and it never overheat or anything, but the 450's seem to run a little hotter and I don't want to risk overheating the engine.

Just looking for some opinions

thanks man that sounds like a good idea

I think I'll just go with the braces and stock louvers too

I don't want this bike getting any hotter than it already does

huh?? I run Devol rad guards in the WOODS with no issues, in mud events (harescrambles) i zip tie the louvers on to the front of the devol guards to keep mud from clogging as much as it would without them.

I don't think anyone has POSITIVE proof that they can show, that the louvers will HELP cool ! IF they did, why do STREET bikes not use louvers? why do cars and trucks not use louvers? Louvers are for keeping mud out, but still allowing air flow. Look at teh bike from the front, the louvers block all the fins that would OTHERWISE QUICKLY get smashed in from rocks, dirt clods, etc.

I think that some say that its possible for some bands to cut down on flow. Thats why i did the works connectin braces too , and have never bent a rad. One thing that i did was cut the oem. guards , a 1/4 in. off the back side of the of the louvers to help air flow , no rocks have ever hit the rads. Work for me , i`m sure sure some ome well say that not a good way to go.

Edited by tjg53

I like the idea of having the devol guards considering one of my louvers already fell off and got lost. Now I'm either gonna have to buy another cheap plastic louver and get some braces or pick up some Devol guards that worked well on my 2 stroke.