Sign in to follow this  

Improving clutch basket life by modifying fiber plates.

I'm looking to get some opinions to see if this modification will help improve clutch basket life or even get a few more miles out of a notched basket.

Background: The clutch basket is notched and new plates were put in. The clutch started dragging and the plates wouldn't come apart. I pulled the basket and filed down the notches only on the one side of the fingers where the notches were deepest.

Modification: I am planning on beveling the edge of the fiber plate tabs that come into contact with the basket fingers. Normally the edges of the fiber plate tabs are square and sharp. My thinking is the sharp edges help create the notches and if the edges were beveled the basket fingers wouldn't notch as quickly.

In the picture the top tab has not been beveled. The lower tab has been beveled and is reflecting back to the camera. It's a little fuzzy. The edge on the backside would be beveled too.

DSC04286.jpg

The square, unbeveled edge has more contact surface area and should distribute load better for less wear.

The square, unbeveled edge has more contact surface area and should distribute load better for less wear.

Good point. I was thinking the movement of the plates along the fingers would create the notches as the clutch is disengaged and engaged. On second thought it seems more likely the force of the tab against the basket fingers when underload would create the notches.