Sign in to follow this  

Throttle cable problems

Ive been trying to figure these damn cables out for a while now. First off the bike is an 02, and if I just hook up the main cable ( the one that opens the slide) everything works ok. Now after connecting the return cable, it gets bound up and the slide wont close, especially after putting the gas tank back on. Ive lubed the cables but no difference. Can I just run the one cable? The other one seems fine, I disconnected it form the carb and it all checks out. Both cable are connected properly at the throttle tube, any suggestions?

read your post again. sounds like things get bound up when you mount the tank= not routed/separated properly. all the cable lube in the world cant help a bind.

check your throttle tube & housing for wear. when the side to side play gets excessive the return cable gets caught between tube & housing. inspect the throttle tube end & you can tell were the cable has been riding, it leaves wear marks. Its best to replace tube & housing together. I would also replace the cables as well. --note-- I would not run only 1 cable , that could be dangerous

+1 on replacing stuff.

There was a local person here who died as a result of a crash induced by a stuck throttle. I would not take a chance on this at all.

Spend the $ and get a fresh throttle tube and OEM set of cables. If you order from an OEM honda dealer online, the OEM RH grip and throttle tube come altogether for $12-$15, and the OEM throttle cables are like $40 or so. I think the OEM LH grip is $5-7 depending on where you order from.

I use www.hondapartsline.com these days. They are local to me but sell for less on their website.

$65 for a new throttle tube and cables is cheap insurance to waking up dead. :smashpc:

the motion pro t2 throttle cables make a HUGE diference, ive always been one to use OEM cables, but after a set of these t2's on my 06 450, ill be using motion pro cables from now on. feels almost like fly by wire. insanely smooth

Do not run one cable.

The cables need some slack in them, or else they will bind.

OEM Honda cables should not be lubricated. The cables have a slippery coatiing inside the housing. The cable eventually wears a groove in the coating and then the cable sticks and binds.

the cables are really sensitive to how they are run. keep playing with the routing and you will figure it out.

Well the funny thing is is that I bought the bike from a friend with a broken 4th gear. I replaced the transmission and got it running but in the process I disconnected the cables and when I tried to reconnect them I noticed that the return cable was stretched. So I decided to buy a complete throttle and cables from flea bay so that way I could just hook them up at the carb and after doing so everything seemed fine until I installed the gas tank and noticed it binding. But with the throttle apart (cables connected to carb) and tank on, the cables arent binding so Im quite sure its in the throttle/housing. Theses things are a pita compared to a simple 2 stroke single cable throttle.

Well the funny thing is is that I bought the bike from a friend with a broken 4th gear. I replaced the transmission and got it running but in the process I disconnected the cables and when I tried to reconnect them I noticed that the return cable was stretched. So I decided to buy a complete throttle and cables from flea bay so that way I could just hook them up at the carb and after doing so everything seemed fine until I installed the gas tank and noticed it binding. But with the throttle apart (cables connected to carb) and tank on, the cables arent binding so Im quite sure its in the throttle/housing. Theses things are a pita compared to a simple 2 stroke single cable throttle.

I agree that these things are a pain to adjust correctly. As mentioned above, there has to a little play in the cables to work smoothly. also make sure the the throttle tube end isnt rubbing on the handlebar end causing it to bind.