Sign in to follow this  

2012 KTM vs Gas Gas ???

I need an honest opinion from someone who has ridden both the new KTM two-strokes and the Gas Gas two strokes. I've always been a Kawi fan but more than that I want to stay on a two stroke. I ride a KX with a KDX200 motor stuffed in it, but I think it's time for a new ride. Plus my 15 year old, who just left the minis for a KX250F, has decided he wants to go back to the two-strokes but doesn't want to buy a 5 year old KX250 just to ride a two-stroke.

We're looking at the new KTM's but have also heard good things about the Gas Gas. Any opinions? What are the pros and cons of each?

I've not rode a Gas Gas, nor a new Katoom... but from what I've read, you will not be unhappy with either one. One thing to consider is resale value. Many people do not know of Gas Gas so their resale value is low, while KTM is known more (at least in the states) and holds its resale value.

Another consideration is parts avaliability. Is there a dealer near you? Will you need to you buy all your parts via internet?

Again you really can't go wrong with either brand, and maybe you want to be different, and have a bike others know little about... (Gas Gas) :smashpc:

Not sure if this helps, I've ridden an 09 KTM300 and a few 08/09 200's. Also Now own an 07 GasGas 300. And have ridden a 10' GasGas250. For me..I liked the handling of the GasGas better in tight stuff, and liked the GasGas 300 motor over the KTM motor. I felt the KTM's had better stock suspension. My 07 Is gone over and has exceptional suspension now, but the stock GasGas's needed work to be ideal. However the 2012(and race model 2011) GasGas's come with all new Marzocchi 48mm closed cartridge forks and Ohlins shock on all the US models that is supposedly amazing. KTM deffinately has a resale value advantage over the GasGas..that cant be disputed. As far as parts, my local dealer (30 min away) stocks almost everything and has amazing pricing...many parts cheaper then the same parts were for my YZ250. Also Gofasters.com has any gasgas part made and they ship fast. So that kinda depends if you have a good local dealer or dont mind getting parts online. KTM will have a better aftermarket but the aftermarket has improved and is still improving dramatically for GasGas. Basicly I am tryin to not be too biased but have been blown away by the GasGas since I gave it a chance..thought KTM was the option and am very very happy I tried GasGas. That said...if I didnt love this GasGas300 so much...id be on a KTM300. So you cant go wrong either way. Id suggest going to GasGasRider.org if you want to learn more about GasGas

In my opinion, from owning both a KTM 250XC and a GasGas EC250 is this: they are both great bikes but have a VERY different feeling in my experience.

The GasGas' real strength is that the motor is SOOO SMOOTH and I would have bought a newer model instead of the KTM BUT I really don't like the ergos on the GasGas. To me, it feels like it was designed for somebody about 5'5". I'm only 5'10" but I feel somewhat cramped on the GasGas. Another local rider who also switched from GasGas likened the feeling to "riding in the bike, not on it". That same rider works at a dealer that used to sell GasGas, and, in his experience from riding them each year, the erogs didn't really change much from 2000ish until that dealership stopped selling them in 2008ish.

I've owned numerous Honda 2 strokes (125s and a 250), three CRF450s, the GasGas, a Husky TE310, and now a '12 KTM250XC. The KTM felt comfortable right away just like a MX bike would feel----the GasGas always feels weird for the first 10 minutes or so until I adjust but, even then, some movements just don't feel natural at all on the GasGas----but I REALLY LOVE its motor!!!!

In other words I love the KTMs motor and egros. I love the GasGas motor but don't like the ergos----I only keep it around to crash through the woods on new trails AND I'll likely only get $1000 for it anyway.

If your talking about 2012 bikes I don't think you can even get a 2012 GasGas yet. But if you could settle for a 2011 you can pick up a blinged out GasGas for a great price. But be aware of how many 2t KTM makes 2-300, 3-250's 1-200 & 1-150 way more choice. GasGas are great but do not offer so many models. Figure out where and type of riding you will be doing and if GasGas fits you can't go wrong. IMO GasGas are great in tight trails but not so great in the whoops/jumps.

I have a 2011 six days EC250, I also have a 06 ktm 200 and an 08 ktm 450, and I've rode a few 08+ ktm 250's

The ktm's kept getting taller so I just bought this gasgas, the gasgas feels much more stable in turns and straight fast sections, and it turns better. I still like the simple no link ktm setup, but gasgas really has the geometry & suspension really working well, mine has the zoke/ohlins setup.

I'm not sure what year other people posting have, the gasgas motors used to run counter balance shafts, that's why older bikes were so smooth, but they dont handle like the newer gasgas

I have ridden the 2012 300 and 2011 GasGas 300 and to me the GasGas just corners a little better than the KTM.The KTM suspension feels better to me stock but usually everybody does the suspension anyways.I love my KTM 300 but the GasGas also fits me a little better im 5'8'' 165 lbs.My next bike will be a GasGas im even considering trading mine in,but the wife would kill me after all the money I spent on mods allready:bonk:

The airbox and subframe look interesting.

enduro_EC300_2012_006-940x786.jpg

how did you already ride one, I did not think they hit North america till november

The 12`s are out at the dealers now , at lest here in mich. I looked at a new 2012 last week.

you must mean ktm MY12, because gasgas's importer does not even have them yet

I have ridden the 2012 300 and 2011 GasGas 300

I guess I misunderstood what you said

I have a 2011 six days EC250, I also have a 06 ktm 200 and an 08 ktm 450, and I've rode a few 08+ ktm 250's

The ktm's kept getting taller so I just bought this gasgas, the gasgas feels much more stable in turns and straight fast sections, and it turns better. I still like the simple no link ktm setup, but gasgas really has the geometry & suspension really working well, mine has the zoke/ohlins setup.

I'm not sure what year other people posting have, the gasgas motors used to run counter balance shafts, that's why older bikes were so smooth, but they dont handle like the newer gasgas

Does the 6 days have the 45mm zokes ? My 2006 ec had Ohilns rear and 45mm zokes. Great woods suspension (after revalve) but I could never get it to feel right in fast terrain. Did they make any major changes from 06 to 11 that improved handling. My 06 handled the woods so good I can't imagine it getting much better. But if they improved them to handle good in the fast stuff I might get another one.

I sell both and have raced both. KTM is better stock and requires less setup. Gasser turns better. Engines are money on both units. Really excited about the 12 Gassers. You won't be dissapointed in either.

I've been checking out the new Gasgas bikes at races, and they sure look good. At my height (5'8"), I would probably opt for the spanish bike, just because the seat height appears to be significantly lower. I love my KTM, but it does seem to be designed for taller guys.

Does the 6 days have the 45mm zokes ? My 2006 ec had Ohilns rear and 45mm zokes. Great woods suspension (after revalve) but I could never get it to feel right in fast terrain. Did they make any major changes from 06 to 11 that improved handling. My 06 handled the woods so good I can't imagine it getting much better. But if they improved them to handle good in the fast stuff I might get another one.

mine has 45mm, the race versions have 48 and I think all the 12's will have 48's, everyone seems to like those better, but I'm ecstatic about my revalved 45's, I think the tuner you use is more important than anything else, mine were done by a tuner that specializes in harescramble/enduro zoke setups.

I've had it pegged in 6th in sand whoops and I felt much more confident than I do on my ktm's

there always is some trade off between tight handling and high speed stability, but the gasgas seems to do that better than my ktm's do

I ride my 07 GasGas300 on whooped (big whoops) out railroad tracks in 6th gear pinned. It honestly seams to handle it better than my 03 YZ250 did. I think they had some improvements on high speed stability from 07 and up over the earlier models. I get wide open on it pretty often in feels as stable as anything else to me, never even get head shake that i used to get on the YZ before adding a damper.

Love my KTM 300 but it's got nothing on the looks of those Gasgasers. Never ridden one and don't have a great dealer near by is the only reason I've backed out a couple times.