Sign in to follow this  

Indiana Anybody racing these events?- IN

Well, seeing as though I have essentially no riding buddies... I was wondering if anybody was planning on doing either the grand prix at Trojan track in north webster, IN on the weekend of the 8th? Or how about the Culver, IN HS the 16th? I'd also like to do the GNCC Ironman. Let me know if anyone wants to meet up and do some racin'. Or if you are nearby and just want to ride, I'm in Valpo. :smashpc:

that looks cool.. the last enduro i did was the GKTR.. was like over 100 miles I think it ended up being.. Hope the weather is decent for that.

I will be at the Ironman, doing the PM bike Race. Btw, I am in Fort Wayne. Not exactly sure how far away you are. But I am looking for places to ride as well. since i am new to the area.

I will be at the Ironman, doing the PM bike Race. Btw, I am in Fort Wayne. Not exactly sure how far away you are. But I am looking for places to ride as well. since i am new to the area.

Yep, was thinking about doing the ironman. I did the culver harescramble today and wow I'm out of shape. I'll more than likely be at the ironman but prob won't ride. Still kicking it around.

I am crazy out of shape as well, but I would like to get a first hand look at the course for next year. I say ride it just for the experience of it this year. Would you be in the AM or PM race if you do go and race. If you decide not to race or run the AM race maybe I can talk you into helping me refuel for the PM race.

I'm still debating on "racing" or not.. probably be more like a leasure trail ride. If I do race it, my uncle will probably be along in which case if we need to refuel he could probably take care of us. I've never ridden the crawfordsville course how long are the laps and how many are typically completed? How long is the race, is refueling needed? I'm on a kx250f. I'm not even sure which class to enter. I'd imagine given this year is my first for racing that I'd either be in 4stroke c lites or maybe open c junior. I see that have a trail rider class to, wonder who that applies to?

Is this something a true beginner could do? I don't have the best bike for it or the best skill but do like to ride. What all would I need to race?

Is this something a true beginner could do? I don't have the best bike for it or the best skill but do like to ride. What all would I need to race?

Well, I'm pretty new to riding dirtbikes myself. I've ridden 3 and 4 wheelers plenty but just started on a dirtbike last summer. This summer was my first for racing. I've only done a few harescrambles and a couple enduros. Everybody has to start somewhere. In my opinion you'd probably be fine. However I have never ridden this particular event (gncc ironman) so take that for what is worth.

As far as the bike goes, some bikes are obviously better suited for different riding than others. I'd imagine as long as it is mechanically in shape, and reliable it would be fine. You don't want to break down out in the woods. I'm still trying to find out which class would best suit a newb like myself, because like you I"m still working on my skills.

You need to have an ama membership which is like $40. And also a district card which is $15 both are good for a year and only need to be purchased once for the year. Other than that you'd need money for the race fee which I believe is $40-50. Also you'll need to rent a transponder which is $65 bucks but after you return it they give you $55 back so its ten to rent it for the race. Obviously you'd need gas, and the proper gear for the race. Other than that I'm not sure what else you could need to be able to race. I think thats about it. Maybe some kind of hydration pack, and some barkbusters? What kind of bike are you running?

I am probably going to skip out on this one. Poor college student funds don't allow. Might come down to check it out though.

I am riding a XR650R. I have taken it to the badlands and haspin and the only part I don't like about it is it tends to over heat when riding slow. It also can be a pain to start after it has been dumped.

You might need to refuel around a hour and 20 in. With my bike I can normally rock a 2 hour race with out refueling, my race is 3 hours so I will need fuel for sure. But it all comes down to the amount of wheel spin you have, how your bike is jetted and your riding style.

I have never done this race either, I could tell you a whole lot about some of the other courses. Not sure about course length probably be from 8 miles to 12 or so. Number of laps would depend on a lot of factors as well. I have seen some folks get 1 or two laps in that time - like i said a lot of factors play in to that.

I would say the 4 strokes c lites would be the right class depending on your age. But I think you have the right idea, just run it as a trail ride, move out of the way of the hardcores and just enjoy the ride so you are ready to attack it next year. Its all about seat time.

I'm still debating on "racing" or not.. probably be more like a leasure trail ride. If I do race it, my uncle will probably be along in which case if we need to refuel he could probably take care of us. I've never ridden the crawfordsville course how long are the laps and how many are typically completed? How long is the race, is refueling needed? I'm on a kx250f. I'm not even sure which class to enter. I'd imagine given this year is my first for racing that I'd either be in 4stroke c lites or maybe open c junior. I see that have a trail rider class to, wonder who that applies to?

You might need to refuel around a hour and 20 in. With my bike I can normally rock a 2 hour race with out refueling, my race is 3 hours so I will need fuel for sure. But it all comes down to the amount of wheel spin you have, how your bike is jetted and your riding style.

I have never done this race either, I could tell you a whole lot about some of the other courses. Not sure about course length probably be from 8 miles to 12 or so. Number of laps would depend on a lot of factors as well. I have seen some folks get 1 or two laps in that time - like i said a lot of factors play in to that.

I would say the 4 strokes c lites would be the right class depending on your age. But I think you have the right idea, just run it as a trail ride, move out of the way of the hardcores and just enjoy the ride so you are ready to attack it next year. Its all about seat time.

I see, the harescrambles I've done ususally have taken me around 2 hours and I still had gas to spare. I know on some enduros they have a gas cart that goes around. I wonder if they will have that there. Not sure how it works, do you know anything about the trail rider class? Which are you running in?

i doubt you will need gas unless you are just a natural fast guy. i've been racing almost 20 years in the b class and have never needed fuel at a hs or gncc. if you want to pit during the race try to park close to the track. the race winds around by the parking lot in several spots.

course has a lot of fast fields, fairly open woods. a few technical hill climbs. sometimes the course will develope giant braking/acceleration holes - i'm talking several feet deep! might not be an issue this year since its so dry. it will probably be very dusty too.

I am taking my boy down to race 65cc class. depending on dust factor i may not race. i hate racing in the dust! buddy of mine got ran over there last year in the dust, hit him from behind at a bottleneck and broke his leg!

i doubt you will need gas unless you are just a natural fast guy. i've been racing almost 20 years in the b class and have never needed fuel at a hs or gncc. if you want to pit during the race try to park close to the track. the race winds around by the parking lot in several spots.

course has a lot of fast fields, fairly open woods. a few technical hill climbs. sometimes the course will develope giant braking/acceleration holes - i'm talking several feet deep! might not be an issue this year since its so dry. it will probably be very dusty too.

I am taking my boy down to race 65cc class. depending on dust factor i may not race. i hate racing in the dust! buddy of mine got ran over there last year in the dust, hit him from behind at a bottleneck and broke his leg!

OUCH! Yeah dust does suck. Yeah I've never had to refuel for a hs or even an enduro really, I'm far from a natural fast guy. There has been quite a bit of rain up here in NWI, I'm taking it there hasn't been much down there? Is any of the course sandy?

it's raining all over. it might be just right there by sunday. you have to factor several hundred kwads and mini riders on the course before the bikes get to go. i wouldn't worry too much about it being to muddy at least.

no sand at all, all clay and a few rocks here and there. lots of roots

I see, the harescrambles I've done ususally have taken me around 2 hours and I still had gas to spare. I know on some enduros they have a gas cart that goes around. I wonder if they will have that there. Not sure how it works, do you know anything about the trail rider class? Which are you running in?

No gas cart, you will need a 'pit' along the course if you plan to stop for anything. Enduro's and Harescrambles are two totally different animals.

I have never needed fuel on a 2 hour harescramble, yet I have been on fumes. All the 3 hour GNCCs i have run I have always needed to stop just before the two hour mark for fuel. But you need to be a B, A or higher class to run the 3 hour PM race.

it's raining all over. it might be just right there by sunday. you have to factor several hundred kwads and mini riders on the course before the bikes get to go. i wouldn't worry too much about it being to muddy at least.

no sand at all, all clay and a few rocks here and there. lots of roots

with as dry as it has been the ground will suck up the rain pretty quick, looks like no rain, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. So I am hoping for tacky conditions I am sure there will be a wet spot if they run the creek and some dry dusty spots, hope the woods set up nicely even after those quads.

I have never needed fuel on a 2 hour harescramble, yet I have been on fumes. All the 3 hour GNCCs i have run I have always needed to stop just before the two hour mark for fuel. But you need to be a B, A or higher class to run the 3 hour PM race.

Okay, I was unaware of that. I am not sure which class to race in but I know that it won't be a higher class like a or b. So that means I'll be racing in the AM run. How long is that race do you know? I'm hoping for maybe a little rain to keep the dust down but definately don't want to go mud bogging.

Class normally breaks down in size of bike (cc's) and/or age.

How old are you and what bike to you run and we'll be able to tell you which class would suit you best.

Its a two hour race think it kicks off at 10am, but be ready before that as you need to be on the line a little while before they get things running. Also, you will need to go through tech inspection. They are mainly looking to see if your transponder number matches the number sticker on the left side of your helmets 'jaw'. As well as making sure your bike isnt insanely loud.

The course length can vary depending of what changes they made to the track, it normally runs from 8-14 miles per lap.

I normally get there the day before or well before the race start so I can walk the course or at least the beginning part, though probably wont be an option this time as I have to work on Saturday. I will probably walk the first mile or so while the AM race is kickin'.

Let us know if you have any other questions. If you hear someone come up on you and rev their engine or yell normally something like 'HEY!' just move off to the side of the trail if possible or wait until a safe time and let them by.

Also, toss me a Private message. And I will exchange some info with ya - maybe I can meet ya before or after your race.