Help with grip removal

That's pretty much the only way to do it. Chances are your only scratching the throttle tube and not doing any serious damage that would impair a new grip installation. Just take your time and when it's mostly off, clean it up with a little laquer thinner. [wear rubber gloves]

i can't believe anyone is still using the old style grips. go down to the shop and pick up some of the bolt on style grips. they aren't much more in cost and last 5 times as long, and don't slip on you. great stuff. i think im using the ruffians.

i can't believe anyone is still using the old style grips. go down to the shop and pick up some of the bolt on style grips. they aren't much more in cost and last 5 times as long, and don't slip on you. great stuff. i think im using the ruffians.

ARe these http://www.odigrips.com/mxlock-onyahkawsuz4-stroke.aspx

the one you are talking about?

Either way I still have to get the old one out.

Thanks Birm.

They look cool and that fact that the throttle one has the tube would solve the issue.

For now though, I have to use the new grip I have purchased.

So maybe I will get the $9 tube like Slackin did.

I have been using ODI lock on grips on my mtn bikes for years but have not used them on my motorcycles yet. The ruffian insert is my favorite. It feels smaller diameter than some of the others and has great traction.

How I get motorcycle grips off is with compressed air. I have a small tube nozzle that gets down under the inside flange of the grip. I roll the flange out a little while working the nozzle in and forcing air (125psi or more) under the inside lip. Once there is an air pocket it comes off pretty easy.

From reading some of these posts I have the impression that there are types of glue that bond to the throttle tube more agressively than the glues I have used, but air pressure is worth a try.

I have been using ODI lock on grips on my mtn bikes for years but have not used them on my motorcycles yet. The ruffian insert is my favorite. It feels smaller diameter than some of the others and has great traction.

How I get motorcycle grips off is with compressed air. I have a small tube nozzle that gets down under the inside flange of the grip. I roll the flange out a little while working the nozzle in and forcing air (125psi or more) under the inside lip. Once there is an air pocket it comes off pretty easy.

From reading some of these posts I have the impression that there are types of glue that bond to the throttle tube more agressively than the glues I have used, but air pressure is worth a try.

Kawi is well known for having some secret bonding sauce. I just toss the whole tube when I wear out the oem grip.

After 2 full music CDs played and a few beers, the throttle grip has been replaced...

But man, what glue is Kawasaki using??? There is no way you can use an air compressor to get it out,

there is absolutely no gap to slide anything but a razor blade, the grip is one with the tube.

IMAG0247_small.jpg

IMAG0257_small.jpg

IMAG0263_small.jpg

IMAG0264_small.jpg

Edited by cesk

After 2 full music CDs played and a few beers, the throttle grip has been replaced...

But man, what glue is Kawasaki using??? There is no way you can use an air compressor to get it out,

there is absolutely no gap to slide anything but a razor blade, the grip is one with the tube.

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

I feel your pain man it has to be Godzilla snot.?

Dang, I remember when my plastic was that clean. Very nice Cesk. Mine isn't 6months old yet and it has boot wear marks all over the side plastics and engine case. Terrible looking now.

Your probably right on the kaw glue. I have not changed the grips on the Kaw yet, it was my Honda XR that I could change with air. I just bought some new grips the other day for the Kaw so it sounds like I better be adding a throttle tube to the shopping cart.

It is vulcanized. You did a nice job with it. I keep meaning to look into a chemical that may dissolve it. As far as I am concerned there are only two ways to do it, the way you did with a razor blade (and wire wheel works good for clean up) or replacing the tube.

It is vulcanized. You did a nice job with it. I keep meaning to look into a chemical that may dissolve it. As far as I am concerned there are only two ways to do it, the way you did with a razor blade (and wire wheel works good for clean up) or replacing the tube.

The added heat from a propane torch with the aid of the wire brushes works well.?