Sign in to follow this  

Any Reason not to go EG 295??

I bought a pretty clean 2006 YZ250 a couple of months back, and plan to finish out this riding season before rebuilding.

Come winter/spring, i plan to tear down, and do the top end. I figure i might as well do the 295 kit while i'm in there, since i've been wanting to do one for some time now.

Are there any cons to doing this? Obviously i understand the pros.

Is fuel consumption much more? Top end life reduced? I've read something about the kick start gear shattering?

I'm not worried about the extra kick involved. I've never had a problem starting my uncles KX500, so i don't think this is going to kill me either.

The only con that matters for me, is that you can't race it in the 250 class anymore.

Besides that, you can't go wrong.

I've had mine for quite some time now. I dont feel like fuel consumption has changed enough to worry about. Maybe it could use more, but it rarely lives in those upper rev ranges anymore. You'll see why if you get one.

The cylinder coating used is thicker and more durable than stock, so there is a benefit there to a big bore or replate. The only slight disadvantage I've noticed is it may be harder to kick when starting. That trade off is well worth the extra power and better revs.

I assume it's a pretty noticeable difference in power and torque?

Typically the trails i like to ride, dont require any more speed than what the bike is currently capable of, so i can't justify the WR tranny costs just yet.

However, i would like to be able to pull a little taller gearing than the stock setup, and not bog out of corners. Just so when i do get on the open trails, i have a little more speed. I believe i'm running a 14/50 setup right now. Not sure on the pinion. And i'd like to be able to run a 14/47 or 46. Just to give it a couple more MPH. The problem is, when i did that before, it wanted to bog out of corners. I'm hoping the extra torque will eliminate that.

Torque and power? YES. As it should. The shocking part is the power is easier to use. Honestly, the stock yz 250 has plenty of power and torque for any condition. The reason to upgrade is that Eric IMPROVED and added power.

It would have been easy to create a 65hp monster. I'm sure he'll build one of you ask. Instead Eric made something that pulls from what feels like 500 rpm's all the way up to 9k. No idea if its really 9k either.....but higher and further than the stock bike. This bike will pull any gears you can think about throwing at it.

cool, i can't wait. I'm gonna have to hold off till real early spring, cause if i do this and have to wait all winter long to ride it, it's going to kill me.

Although i know his lead times increase during the winter due to increased volumes.