Sign in to follow this  

Help me jet?

Ok, spent an hour searching this forum this morning on an iPhone and now i have a headache, so excuse me if this has been asked a bazillion times. I have a stock (rode hard/hung up wet)95 KDX200. Last winter I jetted it fat and threw some screws in the tires to let newbie friend come to the pond with us and try some ice racing. A friend called and want to borrow bike this weekend and I need to rejet it for the weather. I probably have the stock jetting around but I read here of removing airbox cover and jetting a little leaner. I'm at probably 800ft above sea level in upstate NY. Not gonna race it so would rather stay a touch rich for love of my piston. Could someone give me a jet/pilot/idle screw/needle clip height baseline? Even more important, what style jets are they? Bike is 50 miles away and would love to stop and pick up parts today but my bike shop will ask what kind of jets/ pilot it uses. I'd appreciate any help at at!

Thanks

Brett

Edited by lrrs182

Would love to give you some recommendation, but jetting is really a hands-on exercise. It needs to be done methodically, and each carb circuit tuned individually. Best bet is to figure out what jets are in there, and buy a couple sizes smaller for pilot and main. There really are no shortcuts. You can look at the kdx jetting database sticky to see what others are using, but because something works well from someone else does not mean it will work well for your bike, riding style, and conditions. There are some great jetting procedures floating around on the net, find one, and follow it to the letter.

I order my jets from jetsrus.com. Great guys to deal with. You can look it up by bike model.

Totally understood. I'm 53 yr old and been racing cars or bikes all my life (currently roadracing bikes) and am quite good at jetting (been cheating with an LM-1 wideband lately)and will eventually fine tune it. I am letting a newbie borrow it and just don't have the time to fine tune it before they come get it. I dont expect to get it spot on from recommendations, but something close. I've got it jetted nice for coldweather, low rpm ice riding but it blubbers like hell in the warm, way too rich. I read all 11 pages of the data base and didn't find the right year, stock piped combination. I just don't want to have to send a box of plugs with it! I bet there is a baseline for waking up the stock jetting. Anyone?

Year doesn't matter, anything from 95+ will be the exact same engine configuration as your bike. Pipe makes some difference in jetting. For starters, you could drop the needle one or two positions by raising the clip and remove the airbox lid. That might be enough to get you by until you can spend some time tuning it... :smashpc:

Thanks!!! They didn't change carbs? I vaguely remember going up two jet sizes and maybe raising the needle one click. Is the stock jet a 160? Maybe I'll go back to stock, leave lid off and leave needle up one notch to make up for better air flow? Thanks again

No, the carb never changed from 95+, and only a minor change from the last 94 E bike to the first H series in 95. Something about raising the jet block or something, i'm not quite sure. The Jets that sean mentioned are pretty standard. 155/45 is generally a safe starting point, but I hesitate to recommend specific jets to anyone.

Understood, simple vacuum leak at carb boot, rejetting melts piston and it's all your fault! Hell, my supplier would even give me a baseline to better fatter for the ice for same reason!

mj: 152-155

pj: 42-45

needle: start at middle

airscrew: between 1 to 2 1/2 turns out

same here 1200 feet. FMF pipe, silencer, modifed airbox