Sign in to follow this  

Air filter help

Hello, i use a no toil air filter but whenever i re-oil it after cleaning it seems to have way too much oil in the filter. I usually just stick it in a bucket full of filter oil and squeeze out as much as i can but then when it's dry and back in the bike oil drips out of the air box onto the swingarm. So my question is how much oil should you use just to get the filter lightly oiled like the already pre-oiled no toil ones. Thank you. :smashpc:

I've never used a bucket of oil and soaked it. I use a spray that goes on pinkish orange. The color over the color of your filter tells you when it's even, so one spray coat over, work it in with your fingers and apply more if you feel you need it. Install and go. I would think if you are going to use the pour kind, that you would just drip some on the filter and massage it through. You are definatly getting too much on it if you are dunking the whole thing in a bucket. Don't forget, when you take the filter out to spray some contact cleaner in the box (not the hole the filter covers) and get that excess oil up, that will collect dirt as well.

Good luck!

drip it on and massage it in as stated above. Squeeze out excess and let alcohol evaporate(if using red) before installing.

You are doing everything right with your bucket of oil. The only step you are missing is once you squeeze out the excess oil back into the bucket, use 4 or 5 paper towels to blot out the last of the excess oil.

Spray oil is convenient, but you will find yourself spending a lot more money on it and it's harder to get every pore of the filter saturated without emptying the entire can on your filter.

What brand of filter oil are you using. I've found that BelRay and Maxima fft tend to stay in foam filters the best. A lot of people make the mistake of using K&N oil on foam filters. It's meant for gauze type filters and will run right out the bottom of a foam filter leaving the top dry in about 2 weeks. .

I put my pour on filter oil in a ketchup bottle. I hold the filter upside down like a bowl and squirt a little on the inside of the filter. Then I massage it around until it completely covers the filter. This way you oil the filter from the inside out and make sure to get complete coverage.

I put my pour on filter oil in a ketchup bottle. I hold the filter upside down like a bowl and squirt a little on the inside of the filter. Then I massage it around until it completely covers the filter. This way you oil the filter from the inside out and make sure to get complete coverage.

👍

I like the squirt bottle idea!

I use No-Toil oil and the bucket method. I have a one gallon plastic pale that ice-cream came in. Here is what I do that works real well.

I shake the gallon jug of No-Toil oil to make sure it is shook up good. I then pour the oil into the pale until the bottom of the pale is covered with oil. I do it this way cause my filter is flat and not round and curved like the old ones were on the older YZ's but it would work with the curved ones as well.

After the bottom of the pale is covered in oil I take my filter and lay it flat down on the bottom of the pale and push on it til all the oil is soaked up into the filter.

I then wad the filter up in my hands and squeeze it real good to get out the excess. I then turn the filter a different way and squeeze again and do this three to four times. This usually gets out all the excess. I then massage the filter evenly until the oil in the filter is evenly spread through out the filter if I'm doing two filters I will take the filter that has the oil in it and put it up against the other filter that I'm going to oil and wad them both up together and squeeze and the excess oil in the filter will be soaked up by the other dry filter.

Before I put the filter in the bike I will let them sit for about a couple hours to dry and then place it in the bike. Sometimes if I see where the oil has settled in the filter a little heavy in spots I will take a paper towel and put the filter in the towel and squeeze til some extra oil comes out onto the filter.

The main thig to do is .......after oiling filter is to let it dry for about an hour and then take a paper towel and put the filter in it and squeeze to get out any excess.