Sign in to follow this  

KDX250 General Maintanence

Alright, so I'm planning on buying this 1991 KDX250 for $1000 which seems like a bargain, the buyer apparently needs to sell it urgently for medical reasons, but he seems a little dodgey and just wants to get rid of the bike so I need to know what to look out for when looking at the bike this Sunday. He said it runs fine and doesn't mind if I take it for a test ride, so I guess if the bikes up and running that's the main thing. If the bike is all good, I know nothing about bikes, so I need to know the general maintanence. I know of changing the air filter and oil etc since I owned a YZ85 and that was every ride that you change the air filter, and oil every 5 rides I think. How often would I need to on the KDX250? I'm thinking the first thing I do when I buy the bike is give it a service, sound about right to you guys?

Cheers.

Thanks mate, I found a few things, but now I need to know about the basic general maintanence!

Same as all 2smokes, change the tranny oil regularly, clean the air filter, dissassemble and grease the rear suspension and steering head. Don't be suprised if the linkage bolts are frozen inside the spacers. Lube cable and levers. Re-grease at least once a year, more if you ride a lot or in very muddy conditions.

I owned a YZ85 earlier for about 2 months, rode it 3-4 times and only changed the air filter once. I know pretty much nothing :/. How often do I change the tranny? I won't ride it much so a certain amount of hours riding would give me a better idea, I'd probably ride it pretty hard so. I don't know much and I have no one to teach me so it's a bit hard. Apparently the KDX250's are a lot easier to maintain compared to the MX KX250's cause they don't rev as hard.

Cheers.